Three Bulls selected in MLS SuperDraft

Published: Monday, January 16, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 02:01

All three draft-eligible players from the USF men's soccer team were selected Thursday in the 2012 Major League Soccer  SuperDraft — a landmark day for the program. Only Creighton and Louisville produced more draftees in the 38-pick process. 

The Bulls' highest-rated prospect, forward Dom Dwyer, went 16th overall to Sporting Kansas City. Defender Aubrey Perry and goalkeeper Chris Blais went to the Columbus Crew (26th overall pick) and San Jose Earthquakes (33rd overall pick), respectively. 

Dwyer's selection was the highlight of the draft, which was held in Kansas City and attended by hundreds of members of the team's fan group, The Cauldron. The home fans adopted Dwyer quickly, with loud ovations for their new forward. The morning of the draft, Dwyer had 300 followers on his Twitter account (@Ddwyer14). By nightfall, that number had ballooned to more 1,000 and, as of Monday night, sits at 1,475. 

"To come to a home crowd here is pretty unbelievable," Dwyer said after his selection. "I'm very happy and I'm excited to just get going."

In Kansas City, Dwyer will likely play a wide position in coach Peter Vermes' 4-3-3 system, along with U.S. national team strikers Teal Bunbury and C.J. Sapong.

In Columbus, Perry will be reunited with former USF standout midfielder Bernardo Anor, who was drafted by the Crew in 2011. Columbus' first-round pick was used on Ethan Finlay, whose overtime goal for Creighton knocked the Bulls out of the NCAA Tournament in December. 

Blais was the second goalkeeper drafted and joins an Earthquakes team that already has a pair of young goalkeepers. 

Defensive coordinator search

Speaking last Thursday, USF football coach Skip Holtz said he hopes to have hired a new defensive coordinator by today, but wouldn't comment publicly on potential candidates.