Three Bulls chosen in draft

Published: Thursday, June 7, 2012

Updated: Thursday, June 7, 2012 07:06

Three of USF’s best arms will be on their way to the major leagues. After no USF players were drafted on the first day, three Bulls were selected in the final two draft days.

Reliever Austin Adams and weekend starters Derrick Stultz and Andrew Barbosa were drafted in the Major League Baseball First-Year players draft, selected by the Los Angeles Angels and Arizona Diamondbacks, respectively.

Adams was selected in the eighth round, as the 267th pick in the Draft. The righty was coming off an impressive junior season in which he posted a 1.82 ERA and 34 strikeouts.

Stultz was drafted in the 14th round, when the Diamondbacks used their 453rd pick on the 6-foot-3 righty, while USF’s ace, Andrew Barbosa, whose draft chance fell thanks in large part of Tommy John surgery near the start of the 2011 season, was also drafted by Arizona in the 36th round, as the 1,113th pick.

Barr steps down
After 21 years with the USF men’s tennis program, including 20 years as coach, Don Barr will be retiring after he serves as the director of men’s tennis operations in the 2012-13 season, allowing the team to transition to a new head coach.

“I’ve had a wonderful experience at USF as the head men’s tennis coach,” Barr said in a press release. “We’ve worked tirelessly to produce a winning program and we’re very proud of what we’ve accomplished here at USF.”