Struggling St. John’s comes to Tampa

Published: Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 00:01

Coming off a dramatic win over No. 24 Seton Hall last week, the USF men's basketball team (10-8, 3-2) returns to the Tampa Bay Times Forum tonight to take on St. John's.

After making the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2002 last season, the Red Storm is struggling through a difficult season this year without its head coach Steve Lavin.

Lavin is sidelined as he continues to recover from surgery for prostate cancer. Mike Dunlap is serving as the interim coach.

On the court, St. John's (8-9, 2-4) has also struggled following the departure of Nurideen Lindsey, who announced his intention to transfer nine games into the season. Lindsey averaged just less than 12 points per game and led the team in assists before leaving.

Without Lindsey, St. John's is led by a pair of freshmen in Moe Harkless and D'Angelo Harrison. Harkless averages 15.8 points per game, just ahead of Harrison at 15. The Red Storm also get meaningful scoring from forward God'sgift Achiuwa and combo player Sir'Dominic Pointer.

The Red Storm arrives in Tampa having lost four of its last five games. On the season, seven of St. John's' nine losses have come against ranked teams. While the losses are understandable, St. John's lacks a quality win. A two-point win over Cincinnati is the strongest on the Red Storm's schedule, with the rest coming over various mid-majors.

Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.