Receiver revolution continues

Published: Thursday, February 2, 2012

Updated: Thursday, February 2, 2012 02:02

National Signing Day brought with it a trio of new wide receivers, further enhancing a position that during coach Skip Holtz's tenure has turned from one of the weakest to one of the Bulls' strongest.

D'vario Montgomery, Alex Mut and LaMarlin Wiggins signed with USF on Wednesday, adding depth to a unit already projected to be stocked with talent for 2012 and beyond.

Montgomery arrives as a four-star recruit out of Winter Park High School in, one of only two four-star prospects in this year's class. In high school, Montgomery played both offense and defense and caught 96 catches for 1,662 yards and 21 touchdowns during his final two seasons.

"(Montgomery) is so physically gifted," wide receivers coach Phil McGeoghan said. "He's a big, tall, 6-foot-3,

210-pound specimen that goes up for the ball. He's physical. There's not many people that play the X receiver, split-end and then go play Sam linebacker. That's a pretty special skill set to have. We're excited about what he brings to the University and what he brings to the unit, specifically at the receiver position."

Montgomery joins a group that includes Sterling Griffin, Andre Davis and Chris Dunkley, a highly-rated transfer from Florida who sat out last season.

"I'm excited to have talented guys in there that want to get better on a day-to-day basis," McGeoghan said. "It's about consistency, that's what we're trying to build. Yeah, there's talent in the room, but we want to build the level of expectation through consistency, fundamentals and discipline through the spring and into the fall."

Holtz credited McGeoghan for his work in rebuilding the receiving corps.

"To look at the young talent and athleticism that's in that group right now is really exciting," he said. "It's really exciting to know you have that kind of speed and athleticism out on the perimeter. It definitely excites a guy like B.J. Daniels."

Mut originally signed with USF last year, but delayed his enrollment after suffering a torn ACL.

Spring schedule set

With the recent addition of defensive coordinator Chris Cosh, the Bulls' spring schedule has been delayed slightly from the original date of March 3 to allow the staff to increase its familiarity with USF.

"We will now start spring practice after spring break, which will be on Wednesday, March 21," Holtz said.

USF will play its traditional Spring Game at Raymond James Stadium on April 14, before returning to campus for an additional scrimmage a week later, April 21, as it did last year.