Rally falls short in USF loss to West Virginia

Published: Thursday, February 2, 2012

Updated: Thursday, February 2, 2012 02:02

ORACLE PHOTO/TONY GORDON

ORACLE PHOTO/TONY GORDON

Junior guard Jasmine Wynne recorded a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds in the loss.

The USF women's basketball team held West Virginia without a field goal for the final 4:13 on Wednesday night's game. Yet Jasmine Wynne's potential game-tying half-court heave at the buzzer missed, with the

Bulls falling 55-52 at the Campus Recreation Center.

The Mountaineers led 53-42 with 3:43 left before the Bulls  (12-11, 4-5) unleashed a 10-2 run, with five points from Wynne, that left them just short.

"Definitely a tough loss at home — it was a game that both us and West Virginia needed in this league," coach Jose Fernandez said. "We talked to our team before the game about two things: how we would rebound and second-chance points. And we're sitting here at the end of the game getting out-rebounded

51 to 28 and (outscored in) second-chance points 13 to 5."

The night started out slow for the Bulls, with the Mountaineers (16-6, 6-3) taking an 11-2 lead eight minutes into the game.

USF found its shooting rhythm with Andrell Smith and Caitlin Rowe each making a 3-pointer. The pair of threes was followed by junior guard Sasha Bernard driving to the net for a lay-up to put the Bulls back on track. Bernard finished with nine points off the bench.

With each team shooting below 30 percent in the half, West Virginia let its size take control, collecting 51 rebounds by the end of the night. With the Mountaineer defense bearing down on the Bulls, WVU began to pull away.

USF regrouped and looked to mount a comeback, led by Wynne's 16 points and 10 rebounds — her 19th-straight game scoring in double figures.

USF pulled its way back, with Smith making another 3-pointer to cut the deficit to two points with 1:02 remaining, but the Bulls could not complete the comeback, falling at home for the third time this season. 

The Bulls now head to Syracuse for a Saturday afternoon date with the Orange at 1 p.m.