Pierre-Paul, Williams help Giants to Super Bowl win

Published: Monday, February 6, 2012

Updated: Monday, February 6, 2012 12:02

Former USF standouts Jason Pierre-Paul and Jacquian Williams helped the New York Giants to a 21-17 win over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI on Sunday night in Indianapolis.

Both players recorded two tackles in the game, which was won by an Ahmad Bradshaw touchdown with 57 seconds remaining and came down to an unsuccessful last-second heave into the endzone by Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. Pierre-Paul also had two pass break-ups.

The pair joins former USF basketball star Dominique Jones, who won an NBA Championship with the Dallas Mavericks last season, as current world champions.

Pierre-Paul, in his second NFL season, had 16 tackles and a half sack in the postseason. Williams, a rookie, had 12 tackles and two forced fumbles during the Giants' playoff run.

McGeoghan headed to Miami

USF lost one of its strongest recruiters just after National Signing Day last week.

After helping USF land the signatures of prized recruits Sean Price and Chris Bivins Jr. on Wednesday, wide receivers coach Phil McGeoghan got a call from the Miami Dolphins, asking if he would like to fly to Miami on Thursday morning to interview for a position as assistant receivers coach.

McGeoghan accepted the position, leaving USF as one of the strongest recruiters on the staff. He recruited the Gainesville-Ocala area, home to two of the highest-rated prospects in the Bulls' 2012 recruiting class.

McGeoghan was one of three holdovers from Jim Leavitt's staff, along with tight ends coach Larry Scott and defensive tackles coach Kevin Patrick.

Just prior to accepting the Dolphins job, McGeoghan was named a national "Top 50" recruiter by 247sports.com, a full-time recruiting service.

Trio of T&F wins

Competing at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational in New York City, the USF track and field team took home three event wins.

Nicole Rozario won the 1-mile run with a time of 4:56.9.

Drew Volz won the men's pole vault with a height of 17 3/4 and the quartet of Pascal Orelus, David Aristil, Franklin Mosely and Reshaw Exilien ran the 4x400-meter relay in 3:14.93 to win the college division.

1 comments