Oracle insight: Revisiting the 2011 recruiting class

Published: Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 18:01

ORACLE FILE PHOTO/LUCAS CANNISTRACI

ORACLE FILE PHOTO/LUCAS CANNISTRACI

Freshman receiver Andre Davis caught two touchdowns and blocked a punt for another last season.

With National Signing Day, the first day that recruits can sign their National Letters of Intent and accept scholarships, on Wednesday, The Oracle looks back at some of the most influential members of the 2011 USF recruiting class.

Andre Davis, WR

Davis, a local product from Jefferson High School in Tampa, had the biggest role of all newcomers on the football field in 2011. A four-star recruit, according to rivals.com, Davis had a near-immediate impact for the Bulls.

Against Florida A&M, Davis blocked a punt, which he returned for a touchdown, and caught a 27-yard touchdown pass in the Bulls' 70-17 win.

On the season, Davis caught 22 balls for 273 yards and two touchdowns.

Elkino Watson, DT

Watson was the biggest surprise of the Bulls' recruiting class, picking the Bulls over Miami, Fla., and Louisville on the morning of National Signing Day, and came to USF as a highly-rated prospect out of Miami's Booker T. Washington High School.

On his first play in a USF uniform, at Notre Dame in the season opener, he recorded the first of 33 tackles in his freshmen season, including nine for a loss.

Watson excelled in a platoon of defensive tackles, helping the defensive line become one of USF's strongest positions, at one point leading all freshmen nationwide in tackles for loss.

Darrell Williams, OL

Williams, from Evans High School in Orlando, was expected to redshirt his freshman season like most of his class, but excelled on the practice field, with coach Skip Holtz opting to cancel his redshirt two games into the season, allowing him to play.

Williams played in all 10 of USF's remaining games, providing valuable depth on the offensive line.

Ruben Gonzalez, WR

Gonzalez arrived at USF from nearby Robinson High School in Tampa and played in every game, expect the season opener, as a true freshman.

At 6-foot-3, Gonzalez was a good size option off the bench for a strong receiving corps, catching five passes for 55 yards, despite limited action in each game.