Endler wins conference honors

Published: Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 22:09

A 2-0 record in the College of Charleston Cup was enough to get a conference honor for a member of the USF women’s soccer team.

Freshman keeper Christiane Endler of Santiago, Chile, was named the Big East goalkeeper of the week after picking up her third shutout allowing just one goal in wins over Charleston and Kennesaw State in South Carolina.

“It’s a good reward when you’ve been working really hard and feel like your goalkeeper has been solid,” coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. “You’re telling her that’s she’s doing well, and it’s nice to have that exterior reward. She’s been confident, steady and has been making the right decisions.”

Chance named to honor roll

After scoring two goals in a 2-1 win over the host team to begin the College of Charleston Cup, freshman forward/midfielder Olivia Chance was named to the Big East weekly honor roll.

“(Olivia) had not been happy with her performances since she’s been here. She’s used to being an impact player, a very good player, and was looking for a rhythm in her strides,” Schilte-Brown said. “Every game she was getting better, but this kind of connected for her.” 

Chance’s production may have been a result of Schilte-Brown’s decision to make a formation shift, switching Chance and junior forward Demi Stokes on the front line — a move that, according to Schilte-Brown, “was impactful in both games.”