Bulls lose in Connecticut

Published: Monday, January 30, 2012

Updated: Monday, January 30, 2012 13:01

The USF women's basketball team dropped to 4-4 in the Big East with a 77-62 loss at No. 3 Connecticut on Saturday.

The Bulls were led by center Caitlin Rowe, who scored a career-high 20 points, including a trio of 3-pointers in the loss.

USF played tough against the defending national champion Huskies and trailed 36-33 at halftime, their smallest halftime deficit ever against Connecticut.

"We were down three at the half and we gave ourselves a chance," coach Jose Fernandez told gousfbulls.com. "We're a good basketball team."

The Huskies pulled away with a 17-5 second-half run to move to 8-1 in the conference.

Men's tennis drops a pair

The Bulls dropped a pair of matches at the ITA Kickoff Weekend in Los Angeles, losing to North Carolina-Wilmington on Saturday and Nevada-Las Vegas on Sunday to fall to 0-3 on the season.

USF lost 4-2 to the Seahawks on Saturday, losing the doubles point and three singles matches. Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard and Lucas Marin-Salcedo won their singles matches, with Yannick Yoshizawa's match suspended at 6-5 in the third set.

The Bulls won the doubles point against the Rebels on Sunday, but struggled in singles play, losing 5-2 in the consolation match.

Bulls break records

Running at the Indiana University Relays, USF's Rachael James set a new school record of 55.06 in the 400-meter dash, breaking Marilyn Payton's record of 55.12 set in 1998.

James wasn't the only USF athlete to break a school record at the meet, with Shaniel Chambers running the 600-meter dash in 1:31.68.