Bulls blow by St. John’s in impressive win

Published: Thursday, January 19, 2012

Updated: Thursday, January 19, 2012 02:01

ORACLE PHOTO/BOBBY BISHOP

ORACLE PHOTO/BOBBY BISHOP

USF forward Victor Rudd Jr. scores over St. John’s’ God’sgift Achiuwa in the second half of the Bulls’ 64-49 win.

Victor Rudd Jr. had St. John's seeing red for the entire second half on Wednesday night, carrying the Bulls to arguably their most impressive victory of the Big East season.

South Florida took down the Red Storm 64-49 at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, thanks in large part to the second-half heroics of Rudd. He scored 24 points, all of which came in the second half, aiding the Bulls in running away with the score.

"I liked the one-two punch from (Jawanza) Poland in the first half, and then, in the second half, I think Victor

Rudd going from a goose egg in the first half to 24 points is pretty impressive." coach Stan Heath said. "I've seen him working since the new year on being a more complete player, and you see that in practice. And you think, ‘Man, I want to see that in the game,' and he did that tonight."

Three-point shooting and rebounding was the story of the night for USF. The team shot 50 percent from behind the arc with Rudd being their top contributor, as he made five of his seven attempts.

"I don't really know," Rudd said. "I didn't think the shots would ever go in, but my teammates kept telling me to keep shooting, and I made all of my shots in the halftime warm-ups, so I was confident. Then I got going a little, and if I keep getting the ball, I'll keep shooting."

Rebounds were also key for the Bulls. They were able to extend several possessions off the strength of their 12 offensive rebounds. USF controlled the overall rebounding stat as well, with a 32-to-23 edge.

"It was frustrating for us to go into halftime, and USF had the rebounding edge by seven, and then for the rest of the game it kind of hovered between a seven and nine rebound average," St. John's interim coach Mike Dunlap said.

After a first half in which the Bulls' Big East-leading defense was key, giving up only 22 points, Rudd exploded in the second half and ended with a game-leading 24 points.

The Bulls offense as a whole was fueled by unselfishness, with 18 assists on 22 total field goals.

"It all starts with Anthony Collins," Heath said. "You know, not too many guys can have zero points, and

you look at the stat sheet and say, he had a good game. He didn't score, but he had eight assists, controlled the game, and that's contagious to the team."

Rudd's performance was punctuated by a posterizing dunk on St. John's God'sgift Achiuwa, setting up a

potential second consecutive appearance on "SportsCenter"' Top 10 Plays.

"I want the No. 1 play this time," Rudd said after the game.

The victory gave the Bulls an 11-8 record on the season, with an impressive 4-2 start in the Big East, along with an equally impressive 10-1 record at home.

"We did a pretty good job today, and now it's time to go on the road and try to continue this kind of play on the road." Heath said.

USF will be on the road for two consecutive games against DePaul and Marquette, before returning to the

Tampa Bay Times Forum to take on Providence on Jan. 29 at 2 p.m.