Blais showcases talents at MLS Combine

Published: Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Updated: Thursday, January 12, 2012 02:01

After taking two different teams from two different conferences to the NCAA's Elite Eight, USF goalkeeper Chris Blais attended the Major League Soccer (MLS) Player Combine in Fort Lauderdale this week, in an attempt to move to the highest professional level of soccer in America.

Following a season in which he gave up only 18 goals, with 69 saves and an average of 0.81 goals per game, Blais — along with fellow senior Aubrey Perry and junior Dom Dwyer — was invited to Fort Lauderdale to showcase his talents in front of pro scouts. 

"The experience was fantastic," Blais said. "(Being) surrounded by all these great college players, and a few international guys too, and it was so great to play in front of all 19 teams of the MLS. I think me, Dom and (Perry) together make the most ever invited for (USF), which is really great, especially at something so selective."

It's no coincidence that both the goalkeeper and a stalwart defender from a defense as strong as USF's were invited.

"This season was really great for me," Blais said. "I wouldn't be where I am right now, getting a chance to move on to the next level, if it wasn't for South Florida and my team, especially the backline, which was fantastic. And that's proven by (Perry) getting invited to the combine as well." 

The Bulls' three superstars got another opportunity to bond with their experience at the combine.

"(Perry) and I have spent a lot of time together this last month … because we went to Vegas together for the Seattle Sounders Combine,"Blais said. "It was nice to have people that you know beforehand, because it can get intimidating with all those great players."