Should same-sex couples be able to adopt children? CON.

Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 24, 2013 19:01

In the streets of Paris this week, an infuriated crowd rocked the streets leading up to the Eiffel Tower to protest a controversial French bill that would legalize gay marriage.

But according to USA Today, the main reason that the spark was ignited was due to the fact that the bill would allow homosexual couples to adopt and conceive children. 

A crowd of almost 340,000 gathered in Paris and walked approximately three miles to the monument while chanting “Daddy, Mommy,” carrying flags, signs and even their own young children in order to really make a statement.They believed that every child should grow up with a mother and a father. 

And I couldn’t agree more.

While disapproving of the protest itself, I do see a huge parallel between my beliefs and those of the protestors. While I have nothing against gay marriage, the rest of the bill, which allows adoption, consists of a terrible idea. 

Psychologically speaking, imagine the trauma that a child would have to go through to explain his or her family to others for the rest of the child’s life. It just sounds odd saying that one has “two mommies” or “two daddies.” 

According to a recent study from a sociology professor at the University of Texas-Austin, children of single-sex parents households may be more likely to have social and emotional problems. 

Though it is controversial, and most experts agree that more research is needed in this area, the problem is the lack of a sound population of families with two same-sex parents.

The worst part is the effect it will have on the children. Naturally, a child of homosexual parents is going to want to find their real, biological parents. They will also face social stigma at school, where almost everyone else will be living with heterosexual parents, and have even more confusion in finding their identity. 

According to a study done at the University of California in 2008, lesbian mothers tend to have a feminizing effect on their sons and a masculinizing effect on their daughters. 

Not having a clear idea of how to distinguish between the socially created norms of mother and father can leave a child wondering about everything from where they come from to eventually questioning their own sexual identity. 

Most same-sex couples with adopted children are lesbians, but gay men make up a growing share, accounting for nearly one-third of such couples in 2010, up from one-fifth in 2000.

If both parents were females it can be said it would be easier for the child, because hopefully he or she at least has one biological parent, but homosexual couples that are male would have additional barriers to conceiving a child, and would have to use the services of a surrogate mother or something similar, which would add additional obstacles for the child.

The bill will also, in respect to homosexual couples, any paperwork relating to the government will now include obscure terms such as — Parent 1, Parent 2 and so on. 

I agree with the protestors that lamented it will bring an end to the terms of mother and father. 

After a protest of this magnitude, the French president would do well to reconsider this bill and its consequences. 

Akshita Sathe is a freshman majoring in psychology and behavioral health 

10 comments

Dave
Mon Jan 28 2013 10:42
@Anonymous (28Jan at 9:24) -- OK, I read it. It is loaded with completely unsubstantiated (and absurd) anti-gay claims. If your point is that there are worse things on the internet than Ms. Sathe's ill-conceived position statement, I will agree with you on that. Although I will also note that, unlike, Ms. Sathe's misleading characterizations of what her sources had to say, the American Thinker piece doesn't try to substantiate its most offensive claims at all; it is pure hyperbole. That may actually represent a plus for the American Thinker piece.
Anonymous
Mon Jan 28 2013 09:24
READ THIS: http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/01/the_oncoming_human_rights_crisiscaused_by_the_lgbt_movement.html#ixzz2JHMR0ysb&f
Anonymous
Thu Jan 24 2013 21:00
I think Dave said it best, as a reporter, you need to tell the whole story, not pick what you agree with and leave out what you don't.
Disgusted Alumni, I think the paper did a great job publishing both perspectives. On such a controversial topic, it's important to get both views, and they did that well.
To the writer, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you plan to follow your degree, you really need to take into consideration others feelings. I can't imagine what advice you would give to a future gay patient who wants a child. This world takes all kinds. It's time to get out of your box.
*sigh*
Thu Jan 24 2013 18:34
Ms. Sathe,

I respect your ability ans bravery to convey your opinion in a public medium but, you need to understand that when utilizing science as a way of conveying your position, you need to properly understand and cite your sources. They way you have this article set you it makes is sound like you are using science to justify your prejudice on the subject, which let us be honest (we are all adults here), this is exactly what this article is about your prejudice and discomfort with a lifestyle that is foreign to you. This is your opportunity as a university student to explore and learn cultures and lifestyles different from your own and understand that there is not one "correct way" of doing anything. It all is a matter of perspective. Whether gay, straight, or asexual, all people are capable of being great or horrible parents but that does not mean that you can use a perceived negative as a way of denying someone the ability to be a parent before they even had the chance.

When you continue on your with your studies in psychology you will learn about citing your sources properly and on how to analyze the content within those scholarly papers. There is actually a specific course at USF called Research Methods in Psychology that you are required to take as a psychology student. Additionally, not all papers that are published can be constituted as "good" science. One study does not make an accurate or even the correct representation of an occurrence within a population. Studies need to be peer reviewed and repeated numerous times with different participants from same/different populations before any sort of cogent theory can be formed. It is good that you acknowledge that above but, you then so flippantly dismissed it as something that was inconvenient to you. Which it is, science is often inconvenient to those who choose to use it in a manner that it was not intended.

I agree with a commenter above, that you should watch the video of Zach Wahls speaking to the Iowa legislature about civil unions. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLZO-sObzQ

Please, use your time in university to broaden your mind and opinions; your future patients/clients will thank you for it.

Anonymous
Thu Jan 24 2013 15:29
yes, heterosexual couples raise perfect children. i agree with the last first comment
Against Moral McCarthyism
Thu Jan 24 2013 15:13
Do not let detractors and those supporting Moral McCarthyism get you down. You have a right to express your views, and are not alone in them. Children should be brought up in loving families. Nuclear families consist of a mother and father and always have been. Those living in same gender relationships expect recognition of their relationships and frankly are mistaken. We have no reason to change the definition of family, and they have to no right to ask society to do so either.
Disgusted Alumni
Thu Jan 24 2013 15:12
I'm all for "free speech" but this is terrible. I'm ashamed to have not only graduated from this university, but to have previously worked for The Oracle. This would be like publishing "why black people shouldn't be allowed to have kids." Whether someone is gay, lesbian, bisexual, transexual, asexual, pansexual, transgender, or anything else, THEY ARE STILL HUMAN. And therefore, should be treated just like every other human being.
The USF Oracle and Akshita Sathe should issue a formal apology to the USF and Tampa LGBT community, immediately. And the Oracle's Editor-in-Chief should turn in their resignation for extreme bad judgement.

And Akshita, I want to know...
Do you really think it's better for a child to grow-up in foster care and group homes, where the chance for abuse is extremely heightened, then them growing up in a very happy and loving home with two dads or two moms?!
And your point about them wanting to find their biological parents...so are you against adoption too?!

Anonymous
Thu Jan 24 2013 13:14
Your argument is basically that it "sounds odd" or that the adoption could cause emotional trauma for a child, but I beg you to think about how many abused children are raised by heterosexual parents without any regulation at all. You would genuinely argue and believe that two responsible, stable adults who have been thoroughly evaluated and gone through the lengthy process of adoption in order to give love to an orphaned child could not possibly provide a better life for that child than foster care, which is consistently in the news for the poor treatment of children? And how can you even argue that an adopted child of homosexual parents would be any different from the adopted child of heterosexual parents in wanting to find his or her original birth parents? Your argument is undeveloped and basically relies on "because I said so." I beg and even challenge you to look up the viral video about Zach Wahls speaking in court on behalf of his two mothers. At least he has something intelligent and heart-felt to argue.
Dave
Thu Jan 24 2013 13:03
I really have to wonder if Ms. Sathe actually read the two papers she cites. The first, by Mark Regnerus, compared children raised to adulthood from infancy by their biological parents with kids being raised by parents, at least one of whom had had at least one same-sex encounter at some point in their lives. So in reality, it didn't do a comparison between straight and same-gender parents; it mostly compared kids raised in stable homes with kids raised in homes where parental stability ran the full gamut, and found the ones raised in stable homes did better ... something that has been shown many times before. Even Regnerus acknowledges that his study says nothing about the quality of same-gender parenting, and that, in the two cases he looked at where kids were raised from infancy to adulthood by same-gender parents, the outcomes were exemplary. As for the other paper, which I believe is a reference to one co-authored by Judith Stacey, Ms. Sathe has lifted one observation out of the context of the paper, while ignoring the overall conclusion that no significant issues were found in children raised by same-gender parents. The fact that she has to misrepresent what her sources say undermines a whole string of assertions she makes about the health of these kids. Her remaining assertions have to do with the social stigmatization these kids face. Her solution, however ... which is to perpetuate that social stigmatization through laws that preclude these families from even existing ... is at odds with the one most mental health professionals prefer, which is to fight the bigotry behind this social stigmatization.
Anonymous
Thu Jan 24 2013 12:07
Congrats on being a terrible person!