SG positions raise concerns

Published: Thursday, June 24, 2010

Updated: Thursday, June 24, 2010 01:06

Frank Hernandez, the new director of the Department of Government Affairs, Brett Farrar, the new director of Bulls Radio and Nelson Ling, the returning director of SAFE Team, were confirmed in their positions during Tuesday night's Student Government (SG) meeting, which raised concerns for some students. 

Frank Hernandez, a graduate student majoring in education public policy and the former director of the Department of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs, said he wanted to take on the new position to use his interests to further the University.

"I had one year of experience last year in the executive branch," he said. "I hope to learn from that and take the good, the bad and the ugly and make the new executive branch that much better."

However, he is also campaigning for a seat on the Hillsborough County School Board — something he neglected to include on his submitted resume and concerned some senators.

"Frank Hernandez is a shady individual," College of Education Senator Rachel Brown said during the meeting. Brown said she was concerned he would use his position, which requires daily interaction with local and state politicians, to further his campaign.

However, Frank Hernandez, who said his campaigning for a summer seat would be over by Aug. 24 and would not interfere with his new position in SG, said his motives grew out of a desire to "be a part of this."

"Why didn't I list it? Because it's been a contentious issue up to this point," he said. "The Division of Student Affairs has signed off on it, and they didn't see it as a conflict of interest. I'm not hiding it."

But for Chairman for the Senate Committee on Rules Khalid Hassouneh, the legality of Hernandez's position remains an issue.

"He was not the most qualified person for the position," Hassouneh said. "You know why? Because no one else was interviewed for his position. Why? Because he was hired and signed the HR paperwork before the 51st term even began as director of Government Affairs."

Hassouneh said Frank Hernandez began getting paid in his new position before student body President Cesar Hernandez and Vice President Spencer Montgomery were even on payroll — a claim no one denies.

"In regards to the clocking in before appointment, several other members of the executive branch, judicial and agencies were doing it," said Senate President Jennifer Belmont. "An orange sheet was filed to terminate them so that they would not break the law anymore."

However, Cesar Hernandez said he had no knowledge of the paper and that Frank Hernandez has been paid for serving as an interim director to assist him while he began hiring positions.

"I'm not really doing anything radical," Cesar Hernandez said. "When I came in, every position was up for grabs. It's almost as if, when you're on a football team, you're not going to let a freshman take your spot, but every spring semester, you better show up."

Experience was a concern with Farrar, who has never worked with Bulls Radio or another radio station before receiving his position as director.

"Yes, he does not have experience with Bulls Radio," said Montgomery, who interviewed the senior finance major and fellow Sigma Nu fraternity brother. "But that does not mean he does not have experience in marketing, promoting and bringing exposure to an organization … We felt the current director is very, very good with technical, but that is not the direction we see."

Michael Ranon, the current director of Bulls Radio and a senior majoring in civil engineering, has worked at the station for five years and has filled all four of its leadership positions.

"I think the students at Bulls Radio will be pretty outraged that someone who has never even been in the station before is now in charge of the station and basically has control over whether or not they can put their content out anymore," he said. "This changes absolutely everything. Anything can happen."

But Farrar said he is confident that he can overcome his lack of technical and personal experience.

"Obviously, right away, I don't have a radio station in my house, so that is something, along with the other little details, that I would definitely need to learn," he  said.

Ranon also said he is concerned with his expedited interview process. On June 15, he was given only one day notice of his interview — three days before the application deadline closed. His second interview was conducted at 12:30 p.m. on the day of the Senate meeting. An e-mail alerting him to his removal from the position was sent at 5:14 p.m., less than an hour before the Senate meeting commenced.

"I trust Spencer with the decision that he made," Cesar Hernandez said. "I didn't like that (Ranon) felt like he could no longer be a part of Bulls Radio … and if this is something that you wanted because you love it, sometimes you have to take a step back to take a step forward. I decided Senate had the ultimate decision."

Although members of Bulls Radio were present at the meeting, none were able to speak since senators voted to remove "Open Forum" from the Senate agenda.

To voice their opinion, Bulls Radio employees met with the Senate Executive Committee on Wednesday, but they were informed that Farrar's position remained secured.

"Bulls Radio is not a joke to us," Business Director Brendan Collett said. "It is not a toy. It is not an iPod with an antenna. We all feel very strongly that under the leadership of Mr. Farrar, someone with absolutely no radio experience, Bulls Radio faces dire consequences."

32 comments

Not an SG D-BAG
Mon Jun 28 2010 01:38
at the end of the day its evident that the SG senate is a waste of time and should be gone if you say that no one listens to bulls radio and it is a waste of money why keep SG around since only 10% of the student body votes why not let the school handle the money then if that's your reasoning
WBUL Alum
Mon Jun 28 2010 01:32
History is repeating itself. Read up on your SG history, kiddies. It's not the first time the imbeciles you have elected to represent YOU have abused their power and stuck their friends in director positions...

http://www.usforacle.com/2.5741/ethical-violations-brought-to-sg-senate-1.623575
http://www.usforacle.com/2.6025/letters-to-the-editor-1.623545
http://www.usforacle.com/2.5741/interim-wbul-director-resigns-1.623424

Anonymous
Mon Jun 28 2010 00:38
@ Concerned Student

In what way has Frank Hernandez misused his position? You seem to ignore understanding. Frank running for School Board, a seat that is outside of the USF community, a seat that does not touch or effect the USF Student, is in no way misusing his position, in fact, we should be proud of a fellow USF bull reaching for the stars, and trying to become something more than just an SG pundit...
The remarks Rachel Brown made were not in passing, they were not something she said to another student, it was something she said in front of the entire Senate, and visitors. She slandered Frank and has no proof of the allegations she has made. I demand her apology to him until proof has risen.
-------------------------------------

You all are really funny. It really is hilarious to see SG for what it really is and the SHADY stuff it tries to pull. Not to defend any remarks (because I don't agree with the pot calling the kettle black...senators should be standing up to the corruptness, not confirming him anyway) but isn't It shady to be hired before the President was even hired...according to the article Frank was and they say it's "a claim no one denies". How do you explain that? and don't go giving me some b.s. answer like Frank saved a baby from a burning building or helped an old lady cross the street.

Anonymous
Mon Jun 28 2010 00:06
I'm surprised that everyone is arguing over stupid comments about conflict of interest and what some senator said about him being shady. She might have accused the wrong person of being shady, but something shady is going on there. Frank was hired before the new administration even took place (i think someone needs to look into that hiring process) and the WBUL radio guy was essentially kicked out over night. Something went wrong here and yes, even shady. I don't know exactly how it works in SG, but since both of those people work for the president, I'd think the President has something to do with all this.
concerned Student
Sun Jun 27 2010 09:34
@ Mac
okay, so someone just made a remark in passing and you make such a big deal out of it... but what would you have to say about those that who misuse their official positions and play with student money.. very professional???!!!

Mac
Sat Jun 26 2010 18:50
@ "concerned student"

Joseph Anastasio
Sat Jun 26 2010 10:11
I saw Frank Hernandez save a baby from a burning building while at the same time walking old people across the street. It's true!
righteous one
Sat Jun 26 2010 10:04
Ignorant fool, Frank is Cuban and Cesar is Guatemalan and Salvadorian, no, they are not related...
Host
Sat Jun 26 2010 03:05
I'm sick of SG and its games. What was wrong with Mr. Ranon?? NOTHING!!!!
Anonymous
Fri Jun 25 2010 22:56
"If you want a job with SG, walk into the 4th floor offices and ask whats available. Nothing is hidden, just seek and you shall find. Plus, I believe positions were advertised in the Oracle and SG's website. The Senate meetings are open for anyone to observe. If you want to get involved, there is nothing stopping you!"

...Yeah, unless they remove open forum from their meeting's agenda so they don't have to listen to you. I don't know what's worse; that they don't listen to other students or that they blatantly don't care.

Concerned Student
Fri Jun 25 2010 12:42
I believe the remarks that Rachel Brown made about Frank Hernandez were unprofessional and amount to slander. What evidence does she have for her remarks? She should apologize or be reprimanded for conduct unbecoming a senator.
Anonymous
Fri Jun 25 2010 12:40
If you want a job with SG, walk into the 4th floor offices and ask whats available. Nothing is hidden, just seek and you shall find. Plus, I believe positions were advertised in the Oracle and SG's website. The Senate meetings are open for anyone to observe. If you want to get involved, there is nothing stopping you!
Max
Fri Jun 25 2010 10:48
So they hired a director before they even took office and then hired a new radio director to replace the new one without hearing anyone out. One of them is a close personal friend and campaign member (so he gets hired before applications even go out) and the other is a the VP's fraternity brother. Sounds fishy don't you think.
Mike
Fri Jun 25 2010 10:39
corruption at it's finest. And are Cesar Hernandez and Frank Hernandez related?
Anonymous
Thu Jun 24 2010 22:46
"Who listens to Bull's Radio?!?! They get around 100 grand every year just so we can say we have an on campus radio station. I'm sure the old director was a nice guy, but it's time to give this new guy a shot and see if we can put this money pit called Bull's Radio to good use. If something doesn't work you get rid of it, not give it another chance."

@ Just because you think there aren't too many listeners, does it become okay to allow favoritism to go on??.. this new guy isn't even qualified or have the necessary experience...

SG makes me sick
Thu Jun 24 2010 20:13
I'm sick and tired of this b.s. Every year it's the same thing. They promise change and progress and a better SG every March but then they get elected and the next day they pull this stuff. Here's to another year of SG b.s.
Anonymous
Thu Jun 24 2010 19:58
With that money BullsRadio became the first collegiate station in the nation to broadcast on HDFM. So yeh I think the old director knew what he was doing.
Anonymous
Thu Jun 24 2010 19:54
You've got to be kidding me. lol. Just a bunch of kids playing in their ivory tower of corruption.
Anonymous
Thu Jun 24 2010 19:51
its funny there are people on here who have no idea what they talking about.
Anonymous
Thu Jun 24 2010 19:49
so if all this stuff was said at the Senate meeting, why did they still confirm them. Senate is supposed to oversee the president and put an end to this corruption, not get in bed with it.