Quarterback battle still unresolved for USF

Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 07:11

The quarterback battle that began with B.J. Daniels’ injury has yet to be settled for the USF football team.

After going through a full bye week of practices, the Bulls are still undecided on the starting quarterback for this weekend’s game against the Miami Hurricanes. Freshman Matt Floyd and junior Bobby Eveld are competing for the spot.

“We’ve said that we will allow them to compete until a clear-cut starter is defined,” coach Skip Holtz said. “And I don’t think that has happened yet. Both are completing about 63 percent of their passes, so right now it’s a great competitive battle.”

While Eveld has the experience of playing against the Hurricanes in 2010 — when he led the Bulls to an overtime win after stepping in for Daniels after halftime— Floyd has his own advantages in the battle.

“He’s got a little more work this season and he’s a little bit more mobile,” offensive coordinator Todd Fitch said. “He gets the ball out a little quicker and is more athletic. The mobility and ability to get the ball out a hair quicker is probably where I see his edge. Bobby has a bit of a stronger arm, but I think the athleticism will be Matt’s edge.”

Holtz said the Bulls are not considering a two-quarterback system with both Eveld and Floyd getting snaps.

“We’re not looking to do a two-platoon system,” he said. “I think if we wanted to run that system we could, but that’s not the answer that I’m looking for right now. I’d rather be able to identify a clear-cut starter. I’d like to identify one on the field, and if not then we’ll probably go through Thursday and name one then.”

Injury Update
Whoever takes over as quarterback for the USF football team will have the advantage of seniors on the offensive line returning from injury.

Seniors Mark Popek and Danous Estenor were seen back at practice after suffering injuries against Louisville and Syracuse, respectively.

“We said ‘Let’s go for individual workouts,’ which turned into going through the segment work, which turned into going with the team,” Holtz said. “Both of them look sharp. Especially how long they’ve been out, I didn’t expect them to be that far along.”

Big East divisions set
With new additions to the Big East Conference in 2013 come new football divisions, which were announced Tuesday.

The East division will have USF, UCF, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Rutgers and Louisville, while the West division will have new arrivals in Boise State, Houston, Memphis, SMU, San Diego State, and the returning Temple.