HARMAN and the 1,000 Dreams Fund Launch #NewFaceofTech STEAM Scholarships Competition

HARMAN-logo big-logo

Second year of campaign supporting next gen innovators begins on International Women’s Day

STAMFORD, Conn. – March 8, 2018 – HARMAN International, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. focused on connected technologies for automotive, consumer and enterprise markets, and the 1,000 Dreams Fund, a national scholarship program for young women aspiring to live their dreams, today announces the launch of the #NewFaceofTech challenge to support young women pursuing opportunities in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM).

The second year of the campaign kicks off at a private event on International Women’s Day, March 8 and runs through April 5. HARMAN and 1,000 Dreams Fund will award five recipients with $2,000 grants, career coaching sessions, and JBL® product. Winners also will be featured online as the #NewFaceofTech by 1,000 Dreams Fund.

“HARMAN is proof that a diverse and inclusive workforce drives great innovation and propels business results. Building a pipeline of talent is the only way to ensure sustainable success and prosperity for companies, communities and the world,” said Dinesh C. Paliwal, President and CEO, HARMAN. “Through our recruiting and community outreach programs, we are seeing a bold and fearless generation, ready to tackle all the technical and business challenges in front of them, and it is incumbent upon us as today’s leaders to encourage and empower them to fulfill their potential. We are proud to kick off the second year of our partnership with 1,000 Dreams Fund to help provide a path for tomorrow’s inventors and leaders.”

According to the Women CEOs of the S&P 500 list, women in top leadership roles across American companies hold just 5.2 percent of all CEO positions with continued underrepresentation in tech, one of the fastest-growing professional occupations in the U.S. This grant program addresses the importance of helping women early in their careers, to help level the playing field.

“We are thrilled to expand our partnership with HARMAN, a leader not just in technology but also in advancing female executives and engineers,” said Christie Garton, founder and CEO of 1,000 Dreams Fund. “Together, we are accelerating our mission to equip young women with the tools they need most to achieve their goals in STEAM. Our #NewFaceofTech Challenge is intended to inspire and uplift all of the young women who are courageously pursuing their dreams in the arts and sciences.”

Last year’s campaign issued awards to Chinasa Okolo and Brenda Estrada. Okolo is preparing for PhD studies in computer science at Pomona College. Estrada is pursuing studies in financial technology at Full Sail University.

HARMAN and 1,000 Dreams Fund are inviting young women with career aspirations in STEAM to show how they represent the #NewFaceofTech, by snapping a photo and sharing a personal account of how they plan to put the grant funding to work in achieving their STEAM goals.

Ten finalists will be chosen by 1,000 Dream Fund, and a week-long public vote from April 9 – 13 will help determine the five grant recipients. Winners will be announced on April 16, 2018. All 10 finalists will receive JBL Everest 110 headphones.

HOW TO ENTER
Visit: 1000dreamsfund.org/newfaceoftech

Step 1:
UPLOAD A PHOTO
Through custom online entry form that lives on a 1,000 Dreams Fund’s campaign page, applicants upload their favorite photo and a personal account of what they are doing to reach their career dreams in STEAM.

Step 2:
CUSTOMIZE A PHOTO WITH CUSTOM STICKERS + FRAME THAT HIGHLIGHTS STEAM THEME
All entrants, once approved, will be featured on the #NewFaceofTech landing page.

Step 3:
SHARE WITH FRIENDS
Applicants are encouraged to use social networks to help promote the program, and finalists should use social media to promote voting for their entry.

Full STEAM Ahead Event
In recognition of International Women’s Day, and to kickoff of the second year of the #NewFaceofTech, HARMAN and 1,000 Dream Fund will host an evening of networking and live panel discussion in New York City on March 8. Leaders from Lincoln Center, Amazon, Becton Dickinson, USA Today and HARMAN will discuss the emergence of female leaders in STEAM, how leaders are using their influence to move the needle for women in STEAM related fields and career paths, how women overcome challenges, and how technology is influencing current leaders and what it means for the future. The invitation only event and panel discussion will be streamed live on HARMAN’s Facebook page, beginning at 6:00 PM EST.

ABOUT THE 1,000 DREAMS FUND
The 1,000 Dreams Fund (1DF) is a national scholarship fund for American girls in high school and college. 1DF believes that big expenses should never stand in the way of big dreams. Since its launch in November 2015, over $100,000 in funding has been granted to talented young women in need, helping them pay for the “extras” in school like study abroad, tech devices for the classroom and travel to conferences and seminars. 1DF has been featured in NBCNews.com, USA Today, MarketWatch, Forbes, Huffington Post, Chicago Tribune, Entrepreneur, TODAY and others. To learn more about1DF, visit http://1000dreamsfund.org/

ABOUT HARMAN
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and services supporting the Internet of Things. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 50 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. Our software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia. In 2017, HARMAN became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.

For more information contact:

1,000 DREAM FUND
Theresa Howard
The Press Republic
Theresa@thepressrepublic.com

HARMAN
Matthew Lindberg
ICR
Matthew.Lindberg@icrinc.com

© 2018 HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon and Mark Levinson are trademarks of HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated, registered in the United States and/or other countries. AKG is a trademark of AKG Acoustics GmbH, registered in the United States and/or other countries. Features, specifications, and appearance are subject to change without notice.