PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE “THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES”

Contest inspired by the upcoming film ‘Hidden Figures’, will award up to $200,000 in scholarships to promising female leaders

presentedby

PURCHASE, NY, Nov 30, 2016 – PepsiCo and 21st Century Fox, in partnership with the New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS), announce “The Search for Hidden Figures” – a new scholarship contest designed to help uncover the next generation of female leaders in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). The program is inspired by the highly-anticipated feature film “Hidden Figures”, in theaters nationwide on January 6, 2017, produced by Pharrell Williams, starring Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monáe, Kevin Costner, Kirsten Dunst, and Jim Parsons. The film tells the ‘untold’ story of three African American female NASA mathematicians during the Space Race of the 1960’s. This contest will support today’s emerging STEM visionaries by awarding over $200,000 in scholarships and other prizes to over 20 winners.

“PepsiCo is incredibly proud to work with 21st Century Fox and the New York Academy of Sciences to shine a light on women and girls doing outstanding but unheralded work in science, technology, engineering and math,” said Mehmood Khan, PepsiCo’s Vice Chairman and Chief Scientific Officer, Global Research and Development. “The ‘Hidden Figures’ story is being told at a time when advances in each of these fields are creating unprecedented opportunities to develop solutions for many of the world’s biggest challenges. PepsiCo is proud to actively support the discovery of STEM talent and the development of STEM skills in the workforce.”

Beginning November 14, 2016 through December 10, 2016, online entries will be accepted directly at www.SearchforHiddenFigures.com. Semi-finalists will be selected in mid-December, and each will be asked to provide a video submission for continued consideration. Top video submissions will then be judged by a notable panel of judges that include: “Hidden Figures” Producer Pharrell Williams; “Hidden Figures” Producer Donna Gigliotti; Fox 2000 President Elizabeth Gabler; and President of the New York Academy of Sciences Ellis Rubinstein.

On January 12, 2017, two grand prize winners will be announced. Winners will receive access to the NYAS STEM skills training materials and programs, up to $200,000 in scholarships, and a trip to the Kennedy Space Center in Orlando, Florida.

“We are honored to have the opportunity to share the story of Katherine Johnson and her peers whose contributions have remained hidden for too long,” said Lachlan Murdoch, Executive Chairman of 21st Century Fox. “At 21CF, we believe in the power of storytelling to inspire the next generation of talent to dream bigger and unlock their full potential, and through The Search for Hidden Figures contest we are excited to give young women across the country the encouragement to pursue those dreams.”

To help encourage participation, PepsiCo and 21st Century Fox will be supporting the campaign with a national TV and digital media campaign featuring the film’s lead actress, Taraji P. Henson, as well as messages of encouragement from the film’s actresses and exclusive behind-the-scenes footage from “Hidden Figures” on the contest’s website. To further discussion around STEM, PepsiCo will also be launching a collection of STEM mobile and web games, quizzes and challenges for students and fans of the film to test their skills. The mobile and web games can be found at http://searchforhiddenfigures.com/stem-challenges/.

PEPSICO’S GLOBAL COMMITMENT TO STEM
At PepsiCo, deep scientific and technological expertise is critical to meeting the company’s Performance with Purpose goals. Unlocking new ways to create more nutritionally advantaged foods and beverages or delivering tangible plans to increase production while reducing the company’s environment footprint, all rely on STEM leadership. By investing in today’s emerging talent, PepsiCo is playing a role in inspiring the next generation of STEM leaders who will likely become the driving force behind the company’s future innovation and topline growth.

PepsiCo recently announced a commitment to improve the lives of 12.5 million women and girls by 2025, as part of its Performance with Purpose goals. Given that women represent only 24 percent of the STEM workforce, PepsiCo is particularly committed to expanding and encouraging STEM opportunities among female students and professionals.

Prior to the Search for Hidden Figures contest, PepsiCo was the founding chair of the STEM Innovation Taskforce, a coalition on of more than 35 industry, government, educator and NGO partners who work cross functionally to develop and implement programs to help solve the STEM shortfall. Additionally, PepsiCo holds a longstanding relationship with NYAS and continues to support ”The Junior Academy of the New York Academy of Sciences” – a virtual program dedicated to engaging exceptional STEM students. For more information about The Junior Academy of NYAS, please visit www.thejunioracademy.org.

“HIDDEN FIGURES”, A NEW MOTION PICTURE FROM 20TH CENTURY FOX
“Hidden Figures,” directed by Theodore Melfi, is the incredible untold story of Katherine G. Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe)—brilliant African-American women working at NASA, who served as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit, a stunning achievement that restored the nation’s confidence, turned around the Space Race, and galvanized the world. The visionary trio crossed all gender and race lines to inspire generations to dream big. The film was written by Allison Schroeder and Melfi and is based on the book by Margot Lee Shetterly.

The film opens wide on January 6, 2017. For more information and to watch the trailer, please visit www.foxmovies.com/movies/hidden-figures.

About PepsiCo:
PepsiCo products are enjoyed by consumers one billion times a day in more than 200 countries and territories around the world. PepsiCo generated more than $63 billion in net revenue in 2015, driven by a complementary food and beverage portfolio that includes Frito-Lay, Gatorade, Pepsi-Cola, Quaker and Tropicana. PepsiCo’s product portfolio includes a wide range of enjoyable foods and beverages, including 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in estimated annual retail sales.

At the heart of PepsiCo is Performance with Purpose – our fundamental belief that the success of our company is inextricably linked to the sustainability of the world around us. We believe that continuously improving the products we sell, operating responsibly to protect our planet and empowering people around the world is what enables PepsiCo to run a successful global company that creates long-term value for society and our shareholders. For more information, visit www.pepsico.com.

About 21st Century Fox:
21st Century Fox is the world’s premier portfolio of cable, broadcast, film, pay TV and satellite assets spanning six continents across the globe. Reaching more than 1.8 billion subscribers in approximately 50 local languages every day, 21st Century Fox is home to a global portfolio of cable and broadcasting networks and properties, including FOX, FX, FXX, FXM, FS1, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, FOX Sports, Fox Sports Network, National Geographic, STAR India, 28 local television stations in the U.S. and more than 350 international channels; film studio Twentieth Century Fox Film; and television production studios Twentieth Century Fox Television and a 50% ownership interest in Endemol Shine Group. The Company also holds a 39.1% ownership interest in Sky, Europe’s leading entertainment company, which serves 22 million customers across five countries. For more information about 21st Century Fox, please visit www.21CF.com.

About the New York Academy of Sciences
The New York Academy of Sciences is an independent, not-for-profit organization that since 1817 has been driving innovative solutions to society’s challenges by advancing scientific research, education, and policy. With more than 20,000 members in 100 countries, the Academy is creating a global community of science for the benefit of humanity. Please visit us online at http://www.nyas.org/ and follow us on Twitter at @NYASciences.

Media Inquiries:
Andrea Canabal
PepsiCo Media Relations
andrea.canabal@pepsico.com

For PepsiCo:
Margot Leeds, PMK*BNC
Margot.Leeds@pmkbnc.com

For 20th Century Fox, East Coast:
Sue Warde, East Coast
Sue.Warde@fox.com

For 20th Century Fox, West Coast:
Sara Hull
Sara.Hull@fox.com

###