Five Easy Steps to Own Holiday Shopping on a Budget

Brought to You by Discover

Your list of people to shop for during the holidays grows by the day, making it easy to get carried away spending money on purchases that may not fit your budget. To avoid re-gifting the free T-shirt from the job fair or leftover meal points from the dining hall, here are five money-saving tips for the holidays.

1. Budgeting Made Easy
Creating a budget can seem daunting, but there are many apps available to help simplify your finances by syncing all of your accounts. And, since your phone is always by your side, use an app to:
• Monitor your spending.
• Manage your budget while shopping.
• Pay your bills on time.

These easy tips can help you save some extra cash for the spring semester.

2. Get Extra Credit for Your Shopping
Using the budget you’ve created, research the gifts you want to buy to see if there are any promotions, coupons or deals. Most major credit card issuers also offer an online shopping portal, like Discover Deals, which gives you cash back when you shop at your favorite stores after connecting through the Discover Deals site. With Discover, you can redeem those credit card rewards for a statement credit or a direct deposit.

3. DIY to Save Dollars
If you want to avoid the crowded malls and overzealous shoppers, DIY gifts are a great option. Not only are they great for the hard-to-please people on your list, but also making the gifts can also be a fun activity with your friends. A few inexpensive and easy-to-make gifts include:
• Mason jar recipes filled with delicious treats for late-night study sessions.
• Tie-blanket using your school’s colors or favorite sports team.
• Print canvas of your best selfie or travels from studying abroad.
• Homemade treats for holiday parties. Make a few extra so you have leftovers for study groups during finals week.

4. Out with Gifts, in with Giving
What better way to make an impact on your community and create lasting memories than getting friends together to put time and money toward a charitable cause instead of each other? Here are a few ways you and your friends can give a gift that keeps on giving:
• Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
• Collect canned goods for a local food drive.
• Clean out your closet and donate your clothes.
• Read to children at a local hospital.

5. Make Your Money Work for You
If you’re planning to buy gifts this year and pay with your credit card, make sure it has benefits that will put money back in your pocket, like discounts from your favorite retailers and cash back rewards. You can even use that cash back to pay for those gifts. For example, the Discover itВ® chrome for Students card gives you:
• 2% Cashback Bonus® at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 of combined purchases quarterly
• 1% Cashback Bonus on all other purchases
• The ability to pay with your Cashback Bonus on Amazon.com
• The option to get a boost in value on merchant gift cards and eCertificates when you redeem your Cashback Bonus for them – This is a great gift option for anyone you may be struggling with gift ideas for.

And new cardmembers can get a Good Grades reward where you can earn $20 in Cashback Bonus if your grade point average is 3.0 (or equivalent) or higher each year you are enrolled in school, for up to five years from your account opening.

Now that you have all of the tips you need for a budget-friendly holiday season, start shopping!

About Discover
Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America’s cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation’s leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in more than 185 countries and territories. For more information, visit www.discover.com/company.

Media Contact
Derek Cuculich
224-405-0665
derekcuculich@discover.com

###