James Beard Foundation Opens 2021-2022 Scholarship Application Period

Annual scholarship program is open to students pursuing a culinary education

New York, NY (February 18, 2021) – COVID-19 continues to challenge the resiliency of many industries, especially the food industry, and culinary schools and students have had to adapt to an unconventional academic landscape. In ongoing support of aspiring and established culinary professionals, the James Beard Foundation announced this week the launch of its 2021-2022 Scholarship Program which will award nearly $321,000.

In the past 30 years, the program has not only grown in visibility and financial scope, but in the array of subjects its recipients have embraced. As of 2020, the Foundation has awarded over $8.5 million in financial aid to over 2,000 recipients.

While award amounts range from $2,000 – $11,000 and eligibility requirements vary by opportunity, in general applicants must be enrolled or planning to enroll in a culinary program at a licensed or accredited culinary school, hospitality institution, college, or university in fall 2021. International students may qualify for many of the scholarships and are encouraged to apply. This year also marks the return of the Foundation’s National Scholars Scholarship, which offers up to 12 awards of $20,000 each per designated region.

“We’re proud to support the next generation of culinary talent through our scholarships, tuition waivers, and grants again this year,” said Clare Reichenbach, chief executive officer of the James Beard Foundation. “As we work to build back a stronger, more equitable, and more resilient restaurant industry, providing funding for education and career advancement opportunities for those who need it most is more important than ever.”

The scholarship program is administered by International Scholarship and Tuition Services, Inc. (ISTS), an independent company that specializes in managing sponsored educational assistance programs. ISTS hosts the online application process, selects and disburses awards to recipients. For more information about the program and to begin the application process, visit jamesbeard.org/scholarships. The deadline to apply is April 1, 2021.

###

About The James Beard Foundation

The James Beard Foundation promotes good food for good™. For more than 30 years, the James Beard Foundation has highlighted the centrality of food culture in our daily lives. Through the variety of industry programs that educate and empower leaders in our community, the Foundation has asserted the power of food to drive behavior, culture, and policy change. The organization is committed to giving chefs a voice and the tools they need to make the world more sustainable, equitable, and delicious for everyone. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the James Beard Foundation launched the Open for Good campaign to ensure that independent restaurants not only survive, but that the industry is able to rebuild stronger than before. For more information, subscribe to the digital newsletter Beard Bites and follow @beardfoundation on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and TikTok.

The James Beard Foundation is a national not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization based in New York City.

To reach the James Beard Foundation for press inquiries, please contact:
Alex Lue | Alexandra.lue@magrinopr.com
John Roth | john.roth@magrinopr.com
Magrino