Stricter gun safety laws could prevent unintentional death

Published: Monday, July 16, 2012

Updated: Monday, July 16, 2012 05:07

Most American citizens are all too familiar with their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. With 33 percent of U.S. households possessing guns, there is an obvious need for self-defense in this country.

Though citizens should have the option to purchase weaponry at their will, they should also be thoroughly educated on the lethal dangers of guns. Unfortunately, even those who are experienced with guns sometimes lack awareness in gun safety.

Last week, an off-duty Detroit police officer’s gun accidentally killed a 25 year-old woman on her birthday.

According to a statement, the woman “embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to discharge.”

Although the woman breached the officer’s personal space, the gun should have been safely stored, thus preventing the fatality from occurring in the first place.

If a disaster such as this could happen to a qualified police officer, just imagine the mistakes average, untrained citizens could make when operating guns.

According to Florida law, citizens are neither required to obtain a permit nor be registered as a weapon holder to purchase a handgun. However, a permit is required to carry a handgun.

But who is monitoring the activity of those who own guns and those who “carry” guns?
These activities could very well be used interchangeably, which is why stricter laws should be instituted and enforced. Individuals who desire to get a permit can do so simply by filling out an application. After one fills out the application with its necessary materials, in addition
to completing a very basic training, a permit can be acquired in a matter of days. No knowledge on gun safety or storage is required.

As simple as this entire process is, it could very well be associated with the number of unintentional shootings in this country. From violent video games to action movies, our culture has conditioned us to believe that guns are almost playthings. The truth of the matter is, they are designed to kill, and will fulfill that purpose at all costs — whether we intend for it to happen or not.

With such lenient laws, the trend will continue on its current destructive path. It is tragic that approximately 1,500 people die annually from gun accidents. By safely storing guns in metal cases, cabinets or safes, this number has the potential to drastically decrease. Keeping guns unloaded and locked can eliminate the issue completely.

With a little conscientiousness and the enforcement of stricter laws that regarding gun storage, we can begin to take ownership of both our guns and lives. 

7 comments

Anonymous
Wed Aug 1 2012 10:11
Please tell me more about how criminals follow laws. You cant defend your self from a madman with an illegally owned / attained weapon with hopes and wishes, it takes a .45 in your hand.
Anonymous
Tue Jul 17 2012 10:20
Someday, you'll get a chance, we hope, to live in the real world.
Anonymous
Tue Jul 17 2012 09:12
" ...in addition to completing a very basic training,"
I take it you have attended/audited this course and thus can state for the record that neither "gun safety" nor "[gun] storage" is discussed? Would you be so kind as to provide the date and location of the course you audited in order to garner this information?
Anonymous
Tue Jul 17 2012 08:38
1. ALWAYS TREAT ALL GUNS AS THOUGH THEY ARE ALWAYS LOADED
2. NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DESTROY
3. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF OF THE TRIGGER UNTIL ON THE TARGET
4. BE SURE OF YOUR BACKSTOP, WHERE WILL THE BULLET END UP?
Anonymous
Tue Jul 17 2012 07:32
Standard article by standard antigun type who hasn't the faintest idea what it all about. Regarding the birthday girl getting capped by the off duty leo..the latest gen indicate she was kneeling IN FRONT of him..hmmmmm...that could explain certain questions..any way..where you stay at,Martha??
Anonymous
Mon Jul 16 2012 18:03
Firearm misuse causes only a small number of accidental deaths in the U.S. For example, compared to being accidentally killed by a firearm, you are:
• Five times more likely to burn to death
• Five times more likely to drown
• 17 times more likely to be poisoned
• 17 times more likely to fall
• And 68 times more likely to die in an automobile accident
In contrast, every year, people in the United States use guns to defend themselves against
criminals an estimated 2,500,000 times - more than 6,500 people a day, or once every 13
seconds.
Anonymous
Mon Jul 16 2012 12:03
How about you compare the use of guns carried by criminals that are used hundreds of times a day to either shoot or threaten crime victims instead of focusing on a few accidents by people who carry legally.

This artice is a Typical liberal college news piece done by someone who has yet to experience life outside the protective bubble of a college campus or their mommy and daddy's house.