Obama doesn’t seem to like being president

Published: Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Updated: Thursday, December 1, 2011 00:12

President Barack Obama isn't happy.

The president seems to have lost his spark, as media have buzzed with speculation over the root of his gloomy demeanor between coverage of those vying for his job.

Even his biggest cheerleader, MSNBC's Chris Matthews, who said he "felt this thrill going up my leg" when Obama delivered a speech during the primaries in 2008 and compared his meteoric rise to the New Testament, according to the Huffington Post, has sensed that the Obamas don't seem settled into the White House.

"Once having won the office, he seemed to think that that was the end of it in terms of his connection to the American people," Matthews said, according to the Washington Times. "I think everybody feels an absence of communication from the time he's been elected. And it's not about being left-wing enough or too left. That's not his problem. It's connection … I don't sense the gratitude, the happiness level, the thrill of being president."

Matthews isn't the only one to notice the change of heart from the man who, in 2010, was named "one of the best presidents ever" by presidential scholars. According to a Wednesday Gallup poll, he has now surpassed Lyndon B. Johnson as the president seeking re-election with the lowest approval rating.

Perhaps his poor spirits can be attributed to his looming to-do list.

Obama may be hoping to bring troops back from Iraq and Afghanistan in time for Christmas. However, involvement in Libya, which Obama said in March would take "days, not weeks," according to ABC News, is still high. A year after his inauguration, the president pledged to his supporters that he would close Guantanamo Bay. Yet the infamous prison remains open, and Obama conceded that he hasn't "been able to make the case right now," according to the Washington Post.

Though war has often been used as a means to boost the economy, the U.S. unemployment rate remains at 9 percent, and according to The Associated Press, more than 46 million Americans now live in poverty, the highest numbers recorded since the Census Bureau began tracking poverty levels in 1959.

Even so, government spending is at historically high levels with respect to the nation's declining GDP. Other nations with such high levels of spending, such as Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Portugal and Spain, are all on the verge of collapse, which certainly has done nothing for Obama's nerves.

America has managed to keep its AAA credit rating with Fitch even after losing it with Standard & Poor's, but according to Fox News, Fitch has downgraded its outlook to negative, a move undoubtedly associated with the failure of the congressional supercommittee to cut $1.2 trillion in government spending by the end of the year. A drop in the national credit rating will drive up interest rates across the board and make it that much harder for businesses to borrow for capital expenses, which, in turn, affects hiring.

Such news is enough to make anyone, even the president, want to live in a tent in Zuccotti Park. And though Obama has pledged to look out for the interests of the omnipresent Occupy Movement's 99 percent, the polls speak for themselves.

Anastasia Dawson is a junior majoring in mass communications.

7 comments

Anonymous
Thu Jan 5 2012 23:28
This is perhaps the most poorly written articles I have ever read. This is the only piece of Anastasia Dawson's that I have read, so I reserve the right to say there are worse. I recommend reading some of these opinion pieces (links below) as examples of how to write an opinion piece. Stop referencing other news services in every paragraph. If I want to know what ABC, Huffington Post, Washington Times, Fox, AP, or Washington Post have to say, I will go directly to them. Be creative, give your opinion, and be factual in your statements.

Obama never planned on bringing troops home from Afghanistan by xmas. Earliest Afghanistan withdrawal is set for 2014.

US involvement in Libya is non-existent, not high.

The super committee's failure to come to an agreement has nothing to do with credit ratings since 1.2 trillion is cut either way because of sequestration.

washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-worthy-challenger/2012/01/05/gIQAGeRfdP_story.html
washingtonpost.com/opinions/suddenly-a-fun-candidate/2012/01/04/gIQAnn0jaP_story.html
washingtonpost.com/opinions/mitt-romney-out-of-control/2012/01/04/gIQAacGSbP_story.html
nytimes.com/2012/01/06/opinion/bain-barack-and-jobs.html?_r=1&ref=opinion
nytimes.com/2012/01/06/opinion/brooks-a-new-social-agenda.html?ref=opinion
online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203513604577143202951717744.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

WuzAdemocrat
Fri Dec 9 2011 08:06
Ron Paul 2012!
Anonymous
Thu Dec 1 2011 19:47
Obama is a failure who will divide this Nation further during the election. This incompetent President will wear out the race card............because he has nothing else to use.
Mike
Thu Dec 1 2011 16:54
Yeah great Bob, Libya was sure handled nicely. When did it become America's job to police the world? I think I missed that part of the Constitution. And how exactly does government spending more money get us out of the hole they've dug for us Bob? By spending it on things people don't want? Hey Bob, ask the tax payers if they want a refund from Solyndra and GM. Even if we don't have to worry about a default, it'll be inflation will get us thanks to the Federal Reserve pumping out money to for the government to invest in failed projects.
Bob
Thu Dec 1 2011 11:41
Wow. Of course government spending is high when GDP plummets. Looks like someone has taken college algebra. Maybe if you take econ 101 you might learn that America's economy isnt like Greece or Spain and when we have to start worrying about the US defaulting im pretty sure the world will be about to end. Also Libya was handled perfectly, despite your out of context google quote. But keep on keeping on, because lord knows the internet needs more conservatives to distort reality.
Anonymous
Thu Dec 1 2011 08:31
Big surprise considering he wasn't fit to be president in the first place. Few qualifications, the backing of all the groups who got us into this financial mess, and a seeming dislike of the common American. Is anyone really, honestly surprised?
puzzled
Thu Dec 1 2011 03:33
"involvement in Libya, which Obama said in March would take "days, not weeks," according to ABC News, is still high. " Really? Where do you get your news? How many US troops are in the ground in Libya? How many drone missions have the US done since Gadhafi was killed?