No change should be expected from new Chinese government

Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012 07:11

As the U.S. recovers from an intense election season, the Communist Party of China is set to unveil China’s new leadership committee today.

While no transfer of power happened in the U.S. presidential election, even less change can be expected from the new Chinese leadership.

Though the Communist Party of China has made some strides to provide for its 1.3 billion citizens, the new Central Committee has no plans to lessen the government’s oppressive control over Chinese civilization.

Because all of China’s government proceedings are held behind closed doors, there is no knowledge of the new administration’s plans regarding China’s relationship with the U.S.

The Chinese government elects its leaders in a manner that is in no way analogous to America’s system.

China’s National People’s Congress elects who they feel should hold various positions, including the presidency, in the nation’s supreme committee. When  president Hu Jintao closed the 18th National People’s Congress yesterday, it started his gradual transfer of power that will continue over the next couple of months until Vice President Xi Jinping replaces him in March. The positions are awarded based primarily on seniority but no transfer of power in this manner has proceeded without the dismay of the Chinese population.

China’s government has made it abundantly clear that there are no plans to liberalize any aspect of their control over the Chinese population despite the trend of democratization. It is frightening to know that the most populous country in the world is being deprived of the right to control how they are governed and the
decisions of how they live are being decided for them.

While it is a common misconception that America owes China $16 trillion, the number is really around $1 trillion — the debt is actually in the form of National Treasury Securities.

While China does own more treasury securities than any other country, it does not mean that the Chinese government is going to come over and try to break our thumbs like an enraged loan shark.

However, the secretive nature of the Chinese government makes it a challenging relationship to predict and strategize with or against. It is uncertain how long it will take for America to know how Xi and the new administration aim to govern China.

It goes without saying that America needs to keep as many peaceful allies as it can. It is unfortunate that China is run with such a stern resentment toward democracy. All we can do is hope that years of discontent from the Chinese population will force the Communist Party to re-evaluate its suppressive ways.

If there were any upside to a Communist party like that in China, it would have to be that there are no pesky campaign ads or antagonizing super PACs.