No. 16 Bulls host Eagles

Published: Monday, September 24, 2012

Updated: Monday, September 24, 2012 22:09

Following an overtime win to open Big East play, the USF men’s soccer team briefly returns to conference play when it takes on the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles (3-3-1) tonight.

“We have a lot of respect for FGCU,” coach George Kiefer said. “I know the guys always get excited when they’re on the schedule because we like to play them. It’s going to be a fun game.”

The win over Providence allowed the Bulls to jump to No. 16 in national rankings, after falling to No. 22 following their 5-0 loss to No. 9 Akron. It also stretched the team’s regular season conference unbeaten streak to 11 games.

The Eagles have won three of their last five matches and are coming off a confidence boosting draw over the UCF Knights.

USF traveled to Fort Meyers in 2011 to play the Eagles, in a game between two ranked teams. Despite a Florida Gulf Coast record crowd of 1,556 on hand, the No. 14 Bulls beat the No. 25 Eagles 2-0, on goals from Dom Dwyer and Leston Paul.

The game begins at 7:30 p.m at Corbett Soccer Stadium.

Daniels, Fairclough awarded for performances
Two members of USF athletics teams were awarded by the Big East conference, despite only one of those performances resulting in a win.

Quarterback B.J. Daniels was named to the Big East honor roll despite the team’s 31-27 loss to Ball State. He passed for 321 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 75 yards, but threw interceptions at the end of both halves.

Defender Ashani Fairclough of the USF men’s soccer team was also named to the Big East honor roll after he helped the team record a shutout over Providence in the team’s conference-opening win. Kiefer said he appreciated the recognition his senior defender received.

“Ashani is doing a great job for us,” he said. “Not just in his own play, but in his communication and keeping us organized. I think  it was well deserved that he got the award.”