Schools to implement tuition freeze

Good news for Florida students: tuition isn’t expected to go up this year or next. 

The USF Board of Trustees (BOT) will meet Thursday to vote on a proposal that would hold tuition at approximately $6,400 for a student taking 30 credits next year. This follows last month’s meeting of the BOT Academic and Campus Environment workgroup discussing keeping in-state tuition constant for the next school year.

According to the BOG website, the annual in-state tuition at USF is about $500 higher than the state average.

Undergraduate tuition for in-state students had risen steadily until the 2013-14 school year, as much as 11 percent from 2011-12 year to the next. Base tuition is projected to remain the same until 2016-17. In other words, in-state members of the class of 2017 will pay the same rate for tuition for all four years of undergraduate education.

Given BOT approval, the plans will go before the Board of Governors (BOG), which will also vote on the plan.

USF is continuing in a statewide trend. According to the Orlando Sentinel, UCF, UF and FSU are expected to freeze tuition for the next year.

Every year, the state Legislature sets the base tuition rates for state universities; however, the rates will not be finalized until after the special session later this month in Tallahassee.

Additionally, the BOT workgroup has proposed a cap on required fees, which include the Athletic, Activities & Service and Health fees, among others. Though, the fees are usually not finalized until later in the year.