Hatters hold off Bulls after five-run fourth

Pitcher Brandon Lawson, who took the loss Tuesday night at Stetson, has given up 24 runs in
28 innings of work. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Stetson snapped USF’s five-game winning streak Tuesday night and used a big inning to beat the Bulls 6-3 in DeLand. 

Big innings have hurt the Hatters (15-15) in three of their four losses leading up to the in-state matchup, but a five-run fourth inning gave them an advantage they would not relinquish.

Designated hitter John Fussell’s two-run homer cut the Bulls’ lead to 3-2 in the fourth. With two outs, back-to-back doubles then drove in three runners to give Stetson a 5-3 lead.

Sophomore starter Brandon Lawson (0-2) allowed another two-out hit before redshirt sophomore Tommy Eveld relieved him for 3 1/3 innings of one-run ball. Sophomore Mark Savarese pitched the remainder of the game.

Stetson pitcher Frankie Romano (1-0) earned the win after tossing 2/3 of an inning for starter Adam Schaly, who allowed the Bulls’ only runs. 

The Bulls (20-9-1) couldn’t muster much offense after Luke Maglich’s solo homer in the fourth. The right fielder went 2-for-4 with two runs.

Third baseman Andres Leal scored Maglich and first baseman Buddy Putnam on a double down the left-field line in the second. Leal went 2-for-3 with a walk.

The Hatters committed four errors, but the Bulls could not capitalize.

Stetson tacked on another run in the sixth with shortstop Tyler Bocock’s sacrifice fly.

Closer Tyler Warmoth picked up his third save after pitching 1 1/3 two-hit innings. Kevin Merrell and Levi Borders hit consecutive, one-out singles in the ninth, but Warmoth got out of the inning with back-to-back fly outs. 

USF will continue its road trip to play UConn for a three-game conference series beginning Thursday at 3 p.m.