USF and MOSI join hands in science

ORACLE PHOTO/AMAR RELE

As if being across the street wasn’t close enough, USF and the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) will now be closer than ever before.

Speaking Tuesday at MOSI, USF President Judy Genshaft and MOSI CEO Molly Demeulenaere announced an educational partnership between the two institutions. 

Genshaft said USF would soon share university research to help complement the science exhibits MOSI puts on throughout the year. 

“Professors will look to put on exhibits and bring students to the ideas of new inventions, while also translating it so children who visit MOSI can understand,” Genshaft said. “We know that young children are all about new ideas, and they like interactive ideas, so for USF, this partnership will turn younger students on to higher education, because they might see a career they like and become influenced by it.” 

Through the partnership, USF will work with MOSI on new science, technology, engineering, art, math and medicine programs.

Megan Haskins, a communications specialist at MOSI, elaborated on what USF will bring to the museum.

“The partnership is looking to bring students from USF to become interns at MOSI, and see what MOSI can do for USF and what USF can do for MOSI,” she said. “Currently, students from the College of Engineering at USF have a robotic arm prototype on display at the museum, which makes things more accessible for people in wheelchairs, so we are looking forward to many more exhibits like that from USF students and professors.” 

In addition to the robotic arm, the Alliance for Integrated Spatial Technologies (AIST) archeology group from USF has a 3D printing exhibit at MOSI.

Robert Thomas, the board chairman of MOSI, said he is excited about what USF and its students will bring to the table.

“Students will be able to showcase applied technology in a multitude of fields, including health, engineering and cybersecurity,” he said. “There will also be other opportunities such as interacting with students through internships, which will be accomplished largely through collaborative exhibits and programs between our staff and USF students.” 

Both MOSI and USF will plan to collaborate on areas of common interest, to lead the increase in the educational and research sections of both organizations. 

Demeulenaere focused on what USF will provide for MOSI and the Tampa Bay community. 

“This partnership will make the research at USF done by various professors and students accessible to the community and almost a million visitors a year that visit MOSI,” she said. 

MOSI, the most-visited museum in the state of Florida, and USF, a leading research university, will be able to teach younger children, Thomas said, and provide an alternative source to learn science in addition to school. 

“The partnership between USF and MOSI will open doors to a collaborative and beneficial future for every one of the lives we touch,” he said.