Bloody good books for Halloween

SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

“The Demonologist: The Extraordinary Career of Ed and Lorraine Warren”
by Gerald Brittle:

Ed and Lorraine Warren  were known for being America’s go-to experts in demonology and exorcism and were involved in the paranormal investigations behind “The Amityville Horror” and “Annabelle.” “The Demonologist” is part biography, part reference; it contains the stories of the Warrens’ most notable cases, as well as the ghost-hunting couple’s tips on what to do, should you find your house haunted. The two were also the subject of the 2013 film “The Conjuring.”

“Afterlife With Archie: Escape from Riverdale”
by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla:

All is not well in Riverdale. A minor tragedy sparks the apocalypse and Archie has to fight to keep those he cares about from being claimed by the undead. Never in its 75-year history has the Archie franchise included so much gore in one of its comics. The first volume of the graphic novel series follows the gang as they struggle to escape the bloody husk of their beloved hometown, alive.

“Pet Sematary”
by Stephen King:

Stephen King has cranked out hundreds of bloody classics about everything from demonic clowns to haunted hotels. When Louis Creed’s daughter’s cat dies, he buries it in the town’s pet cemetery, misspelled as “sematary,” and, much to his relief, it comes back to life. After Louis’s three-year-old son tragically dies, he buries him in the cemetary, as well, and the boy comes back to life, but not as the same sweet boy he was. It’s a nightmare-provoking story filled with death and demons, perfect to read alone in the dead of night.

“The Graveyard Book”
by Neil Gaiman:

This spooky reimagining of The Jungle Book centers around Nobody Owens, a young boy who grew up in a graveyard, raised and cared for by its permanent inhabitants. “The Graveyard Book” is made up of short stories from Nobody’s childhood in the graveyard. The story is fantastical and whimsical but just creepy enough to warrant a spot on any Halloween reading list.

“The Turn of the Screw”
by Henry James:

This classic is a story within a story and has everything from ghastly figures at the window, to demonic little girls – or does it? A governess takes a job at a gloomy estate in Essex and slowly begins to unravel as she sees things that apparently no one else can. It’s a creepy psychological thriller that may leave its readers with more questions than answers, but it’s entertaining and perfect for Halloween nevertheless.  

“Scary Stories to Read in the Dark”
by Alvin Schwartz:

Maybe it’s just the drawings, but something about this book is very unsettling. The anthology, written by Alvin Schwartz and illustrated by Stephen Gammell, collects creepy legends and folklore that have been scaring kids and adults alike since the 80s. The short stories are brief and scary, and just disturbing enough to warrant reading with an extra light on.