USF hosts Georgia Southern

Senior midfielder Lucas Baldin has recorded an assist in each of USF’s last three matches.
ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Just four days after opening conference play with a win against UConn, the Bulls look to carry momentum into Wednesday night when they face Georgia Southern at Corbett Stadium.

After winning four of their last six games, USF enters Wednesday’s game ranked No. 22 in the nation.

The Eagles are entering the game after a disheartening 3-0 loss to Jacksonville. 

They kept a 0-0 score line with the Dolphins, heading into the second half, but after the first goal, the Eagles were unable to react as the Dolphins scored two more times.

In order to succeed against Georgia Southern’s defense, the Bulls will have to maintain possession and avoid turnovers, a troublesome task in their last game against the Huskies. 

Through seven games, Georgia Southern has more goals scored (16) than USF (9), but the Eagles have also allowed 12 goals, compared to USF’s seven. 

USF did not allow more than two goals in any of its games last season and, so far this year, the Bulls have continued that trend.

Senior Lucas Baldin is improving as the season wears on. He has made an assist in three straight games this season after not recording any during of his first three years at USF.

The Bulls (4-3) will look to continue spreading the ball around against the Eagles (4-3). Nine USF players have recorded a point so far this season and five have scored a goal.

However, these stats may not be a big factor heading into Wednesday’s game, as Georgia Southern’s highest ranked opponent was No. 193 Gardner-Webb, as opposed to USF’s highest ranked opponent, Akron, who ranked 24th before the Bulls beat them.

The Bulls play the Eagles tonight at 7:30 in Corbett Stadium.