Bulls kick off season with high expectations

The Bulls will look to string together 11 winning seasons in a row, beginning with a match at FGCU on Friday.
ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Fresh off its inaugural AAC championship, the USF men’s soccer team looks to carry its momentum into the 2014 season. 

USF capped off last season with a 6-5 OT win in the American Conference Championship in penalty kicks. The Bulls were picked second in the 2014 AAC preseason coaches’ poll receiving 48.1 points, only 8.6 points behind UConn.

Though they’ve lost key seniors from last year’s squad such as starting goalkeeper Brentton Muhammad, the Bulls hope to use the youth and quickness of their team to outmatch their opponents.

The Bulls scored 25 goals last season while only allowing opponents to score 16. This was partly due to Muhammad’s stellar play in goal. This year, the Bulls will have to fill that void in order to maintain their lockdown defense.

Of the veterans returning to the team, senior midfielder Edwin Moalosi and sophomore midfielder Lindo Mfeka were both named to the AAC preseason All-Conference team.

Moalosi and Mfeka each shared the lead in goals (5) and points (14) last season including three combined game-winners.

The Bulls will lean on their leadership and scoring ability going into this season.

After a late penalty kick dashed the Bulls’ hopes for a Rowdies Cup win, they look to the regular season for a fresh start.

USF will travel to Ft. Myers on Friday for its regular season opener against Florida Gulf Coast, a co-favorite to win the Atlantic Sun Conference Championship.

The Bulls also opened their 2013 season against the Eagles, which resulted in a 2-2 draw.

The Eagles finished last season 8-7-2, scoring 27 goals in the season. They return their leading scorer, junior Felipe DeSousa.

The match begins at 7 p.m. at the FGCU Soccer Complex.