Depth chart announced for season opener

With the first football game of the season quickly approaching, coach Willie Taggart laid any questions about his starters to rest when he released the depth chart Monday evening.

The offensive line will be the most experienced unit for the Bulls this season as every starter is either a junior or senior. 

Three of the five starters on the offensive line put on at least 20 pounds over the offseason to combat the unit’s woes last season. 

Senior center Austin Reiter bulked up the most this summer, weighing in at 296 pounds this week compared to his playing weight of 273 pounds last season. 

Six true freshmen from the Bulls’ AAC-best recruiting class made the two-deep depth chart: Ryeshene Bronson, Marlon Mack, Vincent Jackson, Devin Abraham, Deatrick Nichols and Eric Briggs.

The Bulls’ secondary this year will welcome two new starters: returning senior Chris Dunkley and junior Jamie Byrd. Dunkley is making the conversion from wide receiver to cornerback this season and Byrd is coming to the Bulls as a safety from Iowa Western Community College. 

The Bulls’ slot receivers for the coming season will be senior Deonte Welch and sophomore Rodney Adams. 

The Bulls host Western Carolina for the 2014 season opener this Saturday at Raymond James Stadium at 7 p.m.

— Staff report