Over 100 new state laws take effect this month
Lobsters bubbled a sigh of relief Tuesday when several new Florida laws went into effect, including tougher penalties for spiny lobster poachers.
But this was just one of the 157 bills Fla. Gov. Rick Scott signed into law.
U.S. Veterans. HB 7015
U.S. military veterans and National Guard members may now claim in-state tuition, regardless of residency. Before the bill, many veterans paid out-of-state tuition, costing approximately $10,900 more than in-state tuition.
Joshua Davis, a junior majoring in anthropology, said he joined the U.S. Air Force in hopes of one day receiving a college education.
“I think I deserve it. I did my civic duty,” he said. “Sometimes I refer to it as I sold my soul for school.”
Sexual Offenders. SB 522, SB 524, SB 526, SB 528, HB 7005
Effective Oct. 1, tougher sentences will be enforced for sexual offenses against minors.
Colleges and universities are also now required to notify students and faculty of the sexual offender registry during orientation. Convicted offenders will now also be required to carry a driver’s license with “SEXUAL PREDATOR” stamped on the card.
E-Cigarettes. SB 224
The bill expands tobacco regulations to e-cigarettes. As such, e-cigarettes cannot be sold or bought for anyone under the age of 18.
The bill regulates nicotine-dispensing devices, but also includes e-cigarettes without nicotine.
Nicholas Taurus, a freshman majoring in computer science, said he thinks it is a good idea to restrict marketing to youth, but doubts it will make a difference.
“People will buy them for kids anyway,” he said. “I don’t think anyone really cares.”
Davis, who also uses an e-cigarette, said it’s his experience that e-cigarette vendors card clients regardless of the law.
Tuition Equality. HB 851
Students who graduate high school in Florida after three years of residency now qualify for in-state tuition at any state college or university, regardless of immigration status.
Also included in the bill is a clause preventing state universities from increasing tuition without the consent of Florida Legislature.
Epinephrine Injectors. HB 1131
Restaurants, youth sports leagues, theme parks and sports arenas are given greater access and permission to use epinephrine auto-injectors in case of an allergic reaction emergency.
Other bills passed
Insurance companies cannot discriminate against gun owners. Text messages are included in the Do Not Call program. Public schools must allow parents a platform to contest textbooks and subject material. Renewing vehicle tags is less expensive. Florida State Poet Laureate is no longer a lifelong title.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- A bond between brothers
- As exams near, student stress levels soar
- Message to draftees: Don’t mess this up
- Bulls held scoreless in midweek loss to Stetson
- As need for cybersecurity grows, USF class offers solutions
- Florida should pass laws to help women
- Tampa continues to tackle public transportation issue
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Four Tech Tools That Can Help Your Small Business Grow
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum