Young Bulls end resurgent season
After falling just short of the Big East Tournament semifinals, the USF volleyball team returned home for one final game Saturday night, looking to end the season on a high note. Central Michigan, however, had a different plan.
The Bulls were unable to end the season with momentum on their side as the Chippewas took control from the opening tip and, after getting a close win in the opening set, cruised to a two-set sweep over the youthful Bulls, who
finished their 2012 season with a 25-23, 25-16, 25-20 loss.
The young USF roster, led by Big East freshman of the year Erin Fairs, shook off a 2-4 start to the season to make the Big East Tournament which it did not qualify for in 2011 on the final day of the season, beating Connecticut in
straight sets to clinch the 410sixth seed.
After upsetting Notre Dame, the third seed, in the opening round of the conference tournament, the Bulls were unable to recapture the magic against second seed Marquette, ending their conference season and hopes for the NCAA Tournament.
The loss to Central Michigan to close out the season left USFs record at 17-15, with the team finishing with five more wins than a season ago.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 9 out of 10 Americans More Likely to Come to London...
- Meeting the Health Care Needs of Next-Generation Consumers
- Katy Perry Helps Support Teachers and Students
- The Great Divide: Balancing Travel and Protecting...
- What Would It Take to Get You to the Dentist?
- Say Cheese! How What You Eat Affects Your Smile
- Headed to the Dentist? Beware of Backflow
- Student Backpacks Are Literally a Big Pain
- Lighting Tips to Enhance Your Outdoor Living Space
- 4 Ways to Cut Your Energy Bills (5 If You're Up to It)