Young Bulls end resurgent season
After falling just short of the Big East Tournament semifinals, the USF volleyball team returned home for one final game Saturday night, looking to end the season on a high note. Central Michigan, however, had a different plan.
The Bulls were unable to end the season with momentum on their side as the Chippewas took control from the opening tip and, after getting a close win in the opening set, cruised to a two-set sweep over the youthful Bulls, who
finished their 2012 season with a 25-23, 25-16, 25-20 loss.
The young USF roster, led by Big East freshman of the year Erin Fairs, shook off a 2-4 start to the season to make the Big East Tournament which it did not qualify for in 2011 on the final day of the season, beating Connecticut in
straight sets to clinch the 410sixth seed.
After upsetting Notre Dame, the third seed, in the opening round of the conference tournament, the Bulls were unable to recapture the magic against second seed Marquette, ending their conference season and hopes for the NCAA Tournament.
The loss to Central Michigan to close out the season left USFs record at 17-15, with the team finishing with five more wins than a season ago.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board