WVU formalizes departure for Big 12 conference
This week could be a crucial one for the future of the Big East, as the conference bids farewell to another former member and prepares for the potential arrival of a handful of newcomers.
The Big 12 announced Friday that former Big East member West Virginia has finalized its move to the conference.
"We are excited to add West Virginia to our exceptional lineup of Conference members," Big 12 Interim Commissioner Chuck Neinas said in a press release. "They bring an excellent overall athletic program to the Big 12 and allow the league to expand into an area that boasts a passionate group of fans and alumni throughout its region."
The Big 12 also announced that the Mountaineers are expected to begin competition in all sports as soon as the 2012-13 academic year, in violation of the Big East's 27-month notice exit clause.
Big East commissioner John Marinatto said Friday that West Virginia will be forced to observe the full waiting period along with Pittsburgh and Syracuse, which announced their departures to the Atlantic Coast Conference in September.
"West Virginia is fully aware that the Big East Conference is committed to enforcing the 27-month notification period for members who choose to leave the conference," he said in a release. "We are confident that, in the coming weeks, we will complete our own realignment program, adding a number of high-quality members to remain among the top conferences in both football and basketball."
As for the Big East, the Dallas Morning News reported Friday that Southern Methodist could join the conference as soon as Tuesday, with the presidents of UCF and Houston also authorized to nego- tiate a move to a new conference.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Mack carries Bulls in season opener
- USF researchers take on true ALS challenge
- Artists to bridge gap for Muslim, Arab cultures
- USF women’s soccer captures first season win against FGCU
- End-of-summer movies fall into theaters
- #100happydays might be difficult to achieve
- Higher education continues to lack diversity
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care