WVU formalizes departure for Big 12 conference
This week could be a crucial one for the future of the Big East, as the conference bids farewell to another former member and prepares for the potential arrival of a handful of newcomers.
The Big 12 announced Friday that former Big East member West Virginia has finalized its move to the conference.
"We are excited to add West Virginia to our exceptional lineup of Conference members," Big 12 Interim Commissioner Chuck Neinas said in a press release. "They bring an excellent overall athletic program to the Big 12 and allow the league to expand into an area that boasts a passionate group of fans and alumni throughout its region."
The Big 12 also announced that the Mountaineers are expected to begin competition in all sports as soon as the 2012-13 academic year, in violation of the Big East's 27-month notice exit clause.
Big East commissioner John Marinatto said Friday that West Virginia will be forced to observe the full waiting period along with Pittsburgh and Syracuse, which announced their departures to the Atlantic Coast Conference in September.
"West Virginia is fully aware that the Big East Conference is committed to enforcing the 27-month notification period for members who choose to leave the conference," he said in a release. "We are confident that, in the coming weeks, we will complete our own realignment program, adding a number of high-quality members to remain among the top conferences in both football and basketball."
As for the Big East, the Dallas Morning News reported Friday that Southern Methodist could join the conference as soon as Tuesday, with the presidents of UCF and Houston also authorized to nego- tiate a move to a new conference.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Trump rally inspires supporters, draws record crowd to Sun Dome
- Letter to the Editor: From the voices of the USF Community: We do welcome...
- Table for two: Valentine’s Day ideas for everyone
- Letter To The Editor: From voices of the USF community: We do not welcome...
- USF staff loses Hope, potentially adds former Buccaneer
- Florida Legislature kills LGBT discrimination ban
- USF partners with Brazilian university
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The ABCs of ACA -- Advice for Business Owners in 2016
- Hope for Sufferers of Myofascial Pain?
- A Delicious and Warm Pear Salad for Winter
- Major Maryland Piano Store to Close Its Doors
- A Better Valentine's Day Gift for Couples?
- Crowdfunding's Latest Effort: Preventing Youth Sports...
- El Regalo Ideal Para Cualquier Etapa De Tu Relación
- Seeing a Chiropractor First Can Save You Money
- Flu Season Has Arrived: Helpful Tips to Prevent the...
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?