Womens soccer team opens conference play
The USF women's soccer team had a tough weekend, playing its first two conference games of the season without winning.
The Bulls (4-3-2) hosted West Virginia (6-3-0) in the final match of a seven-game homestand Thursday night. The game ended in a 2-1 double overtime loss.
In their first conference game of the season the Bulls' defense did its job, holding West Virginia to a scoreless half to keep the game tied at zero.
Entering the second period, senior forward Chelsea Klotz managed to score her second goal on the season after coming off an injury the preceding week against Vanderbilt. The Mountaineers responded late in the second period when senior defender Drea Barklage nailed a goal with four minutes left in regulation.
The two teams fought hard throughout the first period overtime, but it was West Virginia who came out on top in the 2nd overtime period, as senior forward Blake Miller hit a penalty kick with 5 minutes left to play. Though the loss was tough, USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown managed to stay optimistic and focus on the positives.
"I thought we were prepared and it was an excellent start to a game," she said. "Probably the best start that we've had all season."
The Bulls then traveled to Pittsburgh to play the Panthers (1-6-3) in their second away match of the season. Though the first half of play proved to be defensive, with a tied game at zero, the attack for both teams sprung into action as the second period began.
It started with a Panthers goal by freshman midfielder Ali Matisse. The 1-0 lead didn't last long, however, as 13 seconds later the Bulls found their way to the net and junior midfielder Taylor Patterson scored off an assist from freshman forward Demi Stokes. Pittsburgh battled back and regained its lead when sophomore forward Katelyn Lippert scored. Stokes, who already had an assist, responded with her fifth goal of the season to force the tie.
The Bulls will continue Big East play Thursday night against defending national champion Notre Dame at 7.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS