Womens soccer team opens conference play

By Adam Fenster, Correspondent
On September 19, 2011

The USF women's soccer team had a tough weekend, playing its first two conference games of the season without winning.

The Bulls (4-3-2) hosted West Virginia (6-3-0) in the final match of a seven-game homestand Thursday night. The game ended in a 2-1 double overtime loss.

In their first conference game of the season the Bulls' defense did its job, holding West Virginia to a scoreless half to keep the game tied at zero.

Entering the second period, senior forward Chelsea Klotz managed to score her second goal on the season after coming off an injury the preceding week against Vanderbilt. The Mountaineers responded late in the second period when senior defender Drea Barklage nailed a goal with four minutes left in regulation.

The two teams fought hard throughout the first period overtime, but it was West Virginia who came out on top in the 2nd overtime period, as senior forward Blake Miller hit a penalty kick with 5 minutes left to play. Though the loss was tough, USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown managed to stay optimistic and focus on the positives.

"I thought we were prepared and it was an excellent start to a game," she said. "Probably the best start that we've had all season."

The Bulls then traveled to Pittsburgh to play the Panthers (1-6-3) in their second away match of the season. Though the first half of play proved to be defensive, with a tied game at zero, the attack for both teams sprung into action as the second period began.

It started with a Panthers goal by freshman midfielder Ali Matisse. The 1-0 lead didn't last long, however, as 13 seconds later the Bulls found their way to the net and junior midfielder Taylor Patterson scored off an assist from freshman forward Demi Stokes. Pittsburgh battled back and regained its lead when sophomore forward Katelyn Lippert scored. Stokes, who already had an assist, responded with her fifth goal of the season to force the tie.

The Bulls will continue Big East play Thursday night against defending national champion Notre Dame at 7.