Weather forces delay, cancelation
A one-hour weather delay didn't stop the USF women's soccer team from drawing its third-largest crowd in program history Thursday night, with 1,124 fans in the stands watching it tie defending national champion Notre Dame (4-4-2).
The nationally televised match, featuring the 20th-ranked Fighting Irish, proved a tough one for the Bulls (4-3-3). The lightning cleared and Notre Dame struck first in the 27th minute, when freshman forward Lauren Bohaboy found the back of the net on an assist from sophomore midfielder Rebecca Twining.
The Irish held their 1-0 lead throughout the entire first half, outshooting USF 12-3. Things were not looking well for USF in the second half, either, until the final four minutes of the match when senior defender Valorie O'Brien nailed a header off an assist from fellow senior defender Molly Stack.
"I remember looking at the clock and I told myself, ‘This is 10 minutes,'" O'Brien said. "This is the time to gut it out.'"
Not only was the goal O'Brien's second of the season, but it was also the second time O'Brien hit a header from an assist off Stack to put the match into overtime within the final minutes, the first coming against Jacksonville on Sept. 11.
Courtesy of the late goal, the Bulls had momentum swinging their way as the match went into overtime. However, they could not find a way to score, as the match ended in a 1-1 draw.
USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown said she was proud of her team's effort in the match.
"The relentless pursuit to try to score a goal really paid off," she said. "The Irish are a good team. They had their chances, but I felt like we had such a good team effort from everyone."
After the tough draw with Notre Dame, the Bulls were hoping for their first Big East victory as they hosted DePaul (2-7-1) at 1 p.m. Sunday. However, weather again played a role as the game was delayed six minutes before halftime, with USF leading 2-0.
The match was eventually cancelled due to sustained delays and will be restarted today at 11 a.m., with USF's two-goal lead erased.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Students can test their survival skills at today's Survivalist Social
- Taggart sticking with DC Woodie with No. 22 Navy looming
- ABC's John Quinones brings perseverance to ULS
- County plans traffic light outside IQ Apartments
- Despite injury, Flowers to start against No. 22 Navy
- Trump, Clinton focus on Bay Area with early voting commencing
- Building a BRIDGE
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS