Volleyball splits first weekend of Big East play
The USF volleyball team opened with a solid start to the conference season in a 3-2 (21-25, 22-25, 29-27, 29-27, 15-12) comeback win on the road against Syracuse, but lost a 1-3 (17-25, 25-23, 19-25, 17-25) decision to Marquette.
The Bulls entered Friday's match against the Orange in the midst of a three-match losing streak - only winning one of their last nine sets. USF quickly fell into a 2-0 deficit, yet managed to piece together enough offense to sweep the final three sets and rally to victory.
"We just willed ourselves to win," coach Claire Lessinger said. "We were able to
find our rhythm to come back and win."
The win came with several broken or tied personal records.
Shelbie Dailey recorded a career high in assists with 65. Freshman Valerie
El Houssine posted her most kills (30) and digs (16) as a Bull. J'beria Davis tied her single-match top mark for kills with 22.
Unfortunately for the Bulls, Marquette provided a harsher test.
USF appeared no match for the Golden Eagles, who were anxious to get their first
2011 Big East conference win. Marquette played a dominant defensive game, holding the Bulls to under 20 points in three of four sets.
"We didn't play like we did against Syracuse," Lessinger said. "We were not focused and
played a sloppy game, but it's a building process and we will work on our problems during practice so we will be ready to go by this weekend."
Janice Rivera had 21 digs in the match, passing 1,000 for her career.
The Bulls fell to 5-9 on the season as they continue conference play this weekend at home against Rutgers on Saturday at noon, followed by a 1 p.m. game against Seton Hall on Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
- How Will You Remember the Most Important Moments of Your...
- Listos para la aventura con Elena de Avalor
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS