Volleyball falls in Big East
Two days after the USF womens volleyball team shook Notre Dame in the Big East Tournament quarterfinals, winning 3-1 in its first-ever win over the Irish, it couldnt hold its ground against Marquette, losing the Saturday match 1-3 in the semifinals.
The run in the Big East Tournament was the Bulls first in two years. In 2010, they lost to Cincinnati in the first round.
The Bulls entered Friday as the No. 8 seed in the Big East, facing third-seeded Notre Dame, a team USF lost 0-3 to in October. They picked up a 25-17 win in the first set, lost the second 18-25, and carried the win going 25-23 and 25-19 in the third and fourth.
Senior outside hitter Jberia Davis picked up a double-double, with 11 digs and a team-high 18 kills. Freshman outside hitter Erin Fairs also added a double-double to her resume with a 12 kills and 14 digs. Senior defensive specialist Claudia Cabrera had a team-high 16 digs.
USF led in blocks with 10 and digs with 53.
On Saturday, the team faced a second-seeded Marquette, and was unable to match its play for a second time in the tournament, going 16-25, 20-25, 27-25 and 22-25.
The teams hitting percent decreased from .292 against Notre Dame to .142, with Davis and junior Kayla Walton picking up 11 kills each, the team high. Fairs and Cabrera led in digs with 15 apiece. Marquette hit at .250, beating the Bulls.
The Bulls wont move on in the Big East Tournament, but will play Central Michigan on Nov. 24 at 7 p.m. at home in their final match of the season.
- Staff Report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections