Volleyball falls in Big East
Two days after the USF womens volleyball team shook Notre Dame in the Big East Tournament quarterfinals, winning 3-1 in its first-ever win over the Irish, it couldnt hold its ground against Marquette, losing the Saturday match 1-3 in the semifinals.
The run in the Big East Tournament was the Bulls first in two years. In 2010, they lost to Cincinnati in the first round.
The Bulls entered Friday as the No. 8 seed in the Big East, facing third-seeded Notre Dame, a team USF lost 0-3 to in October. They picked up a 25-17 win in the first set, lost the second 18-25, and carried the win going 25-23 and 25-19 in the third and fourth.
Senior outside hitter Jberia Davis picked up a double-double, with 11 digs and a team-high 18 kills. Freshman outside hitter Erin Fairs also added a double-double to her resume with a 12 kills and 14 digs. Senior defensive specialist Claudia Cabrera had a team-high 16 digs.
USF led in blocks with 10 and digs with 53.
On Saturday, the team faced a second-seeded Marquette, and was unable to match its play for a second time in the tournament, going 16-25, 20-25, 27-25 and 22-25.
The teams hitting percent decreased from .292 against Notre Dame to .142, with Davis and junior Kayla Walton picking up 11 kills each, the team high. Fairs and Cabrera led in digs with 15 apiece. Marquette hit at .250, beating the Bulls.
The Bulls wont move on in the Big East Tournament, but will play Central Michigan on Nov. 24 at 7 p.m. at home in their final match of the season.
- Staff Report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT