USF Volleyball Extends Winning Streak to Six
Florida Gulf Coast University stepped into the USF Sun Dome Corral on Tuesday night hoping to catch the Bulls slipping before the start of Big East play and on the heels of a five game win streak.
But USF showed no lack of focus in an impressive 3-1 victory over the Eagles.
In the first set, Andrea Rodriguez-Gomez, Caitlyn Breen and Erin Fairs notched three kills each. Fairs also contributed heavily on defense with four digs. Claudia Cabrera had four impressive digs and dove multiple times to maintain her teams possession. USF won the set 25-14 with no rally by FGCU.
The Eagles performed better in the second set, led by Jill Hoppers five kills. At one point the Eagles led the Bulls 13-5 and looked to have the momentum, but the Bulls mounted an emotional rally. The Corral was at its loudest volume of the night as Cabrera added six more digs to help USF win the set 25-21.
In the third set the Eagles had their most consistent performance of the evening, to the tune of a .138 attack percentage compared to .000 percent by the Bulls, their lowest of the night. Attack efficiency was the key to the Eagles set win.
The Bulls bounced back strong in the fourth set. Wylie Devlin had 10 of her game-high 27 assists and Ciara Brown had five of her 10 kills in the fourth. Valerie El Houssine redeemed herself in the fourth set after only two kills and four errors in the first three sets. She scored five kills and no errors in the fourth to combine with Brown and Devlins equally clutch performances to win the set 25-16.
USF dominated FGCU in what could have been quite an upset with the Bulls beginning Big East play in New Jersey on Saturday and Sunday against Rutgers and Seton Hall, respectively. The Bulls will surely head to New Jersey with confidence knowing that theyve won six consecutive matches but also face a combined record of 35-2 between the two opponents.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Cosplayers to suit up for Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Search continues for graves at Dozier
- USF Athletics: What you might have missed this summer
- Pujol represents Bulls in FIBA World Cup
- The health consequences of a night with Netflix
- Colleges should worry about losing funding over Title IX violations
- Renovations revitalize USF Bookstore
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...