USF unveils special uniforms

By Michael Manganello, SPORTS EDITOR
On November 15, 2011

USF fans may not recognize the home team Saturday, as the Bulls don special uniforms for their game against Miami in honor of Military Appreciation Day.

Along with partners Under Armour, Schutt and the Wounded Warrior Project, USF presented its special-edition uniforms Tuesday at coach Skip Holtz's weekly press luncheon.

The uniforms are different than anything USF has ever worn before, from special helmets with a maze-like design to limited-edition cleats featuring a USA wordmark. The set also includes white gloves that feature an American flag pattern on the palms and the word "freedom" on both index fingers.

"There's so many great causes out there, but I don't think there's any cause any stronger than having the opportunity to support the men and women that … make the sacrifices that they do on a daily basis for us to live in the free society that we do," Holtz said. "It's an honor for us to have the opportunity to wear these uniforms and to honor the men and women in the military."

Instead of players' names, the jerseys will feature the words: Duty, Honor, Courage, Commitment, Integrity, Country or Service. The phrase "Believe in heroes" appears just below the belt on the back of the pants.

Next week, the jerseys will be auctioned off on gousfbulls.com, with all proceeds going to the Wounded Warrior Project, which raises awareness and assists wounded soldiers returning from military duty.

Holtz said he displayed the uniforms early so his players could get used to them.

"As I told the players, I want to show this early," Holtz said. "We don't want to be a bunch of giddy schoolgirls in the locker room before the game talking about how fresh this uniform looks."

South Carolina and Texas Tech have previously worn Wounded Warrior Project uniforms this season, though both teams lost in them. The Gamecocks lost 16-13 to Auburn on Oct. 1, while the Red Raiders lost 66-6 to No. 2 Oklahoma State on Saturday.