USF unveils special uniforms
USF fans may not recognize the home team Saturday, as the Bulls don special uniforms for their game against Miami in honor of Military Appreciation Day.
Along with partners Under Armour, Schutt and the Wounded Warrior Project, USF presented its special-edition uniforms Tuesday at coach Skip Holtz's weekly press luncheon.
The uniforms are different than anything USF has ever worn before, from special helmets with a maze-like design to limited-edition cleats featuring a USA wordmark. The set also includes white gloves that feature an American flag pattern on the palms and the word "freedom" on both index fingers.
"There's so many great causes out there, but I don't think there's any cause any stronger than having the opportunity to support the men and women that … make the sacrifices that they do on a daily basis for us to live in the free society that we do," Holtz said. "It's an honor for us to have the opportunity to wear these uniforms and to honor the men and women in the military."
Instead of players' names, the jerseys will feature the words: Duty, Honor, Courage, Commitment, Integrity, Country or Service. The phrase "Believe in heroes" appears just below the belt on the back of the pants.
Next week, the jerseys will be auctioned off on gousfbulls.com, with all proceeds going to the Wounded Warrior Project, which raises awareness and assists wounded soldiers returning from military duty.
Holtz said he displayed the uniforms early so his players could get used to them.
"As I told the players, I want to show this early," Holtz said. "We don't want to be a bunch of giddy schoolgirls in the locker room before the game talking about how fresh this uniform looks."
South Carolina and Texas Tech have previously worn Wounded Warrior Project uniforms this season, though both teams lost in them. The Gamecocks lost 16-13 to Auburn on Oct. 1, while the Red Raiders lost 66-6 to No. 2 Oklahoma State on Saturday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- A bond between brothers
- As exams near, student stress levels soar
- Message to draftees: Don’t mess this up
- Bulls held scoreless in midweek loss to Stetson
- As need for cybersecurity grows, USF class offers solutions
- Florida should pass laws to help women
- Tampa continues to tackle public transportation issue
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Four Tech Tools That Can Help Your Small Business Grow
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum