USF student caught in sex sting
A weeklong undercover sex sting in Wildwood in Sumter County led to the arrest of a USF student who authorities believe was attempting to engage in sexual conduct with a minor.
Twenty-year-old Ishan Howard was arrested March 20 when county detectives, who posed as 14-year-old children online, directed him to a private residence to have sex.
Anthony Caruthers of the detention support staff for the Sumter County Detention Center said Howard was charged with four felonies: obscene communication through use of computers to solicit a parent, guardian or child for sex; obscene communication to travel and meet; use of two-way communication to facilitate a felony and cruelty toward a child.
Howard was released Tuesday on $80,000 bond.
Justin Martin, a 2010 USF alumnus, said Howard was his roommate on campus in either 2008 or 2009, Martin's "sophomore or junior year."
"(This) is incredibly shocking (to me)," he said of Howard's arrest. "I never knew he would be capable of something like that."
Martin said Howard was a freshman when they were roommates and "seemed normal at the time."
"When (we) were roommates, I didn't see any problems - he had a girlfriend, he had a somewhat stable life," Martin said. "He was very outgoing, he liked to hang out a lot. He was always eager to find out what else was out there."
According to a release on the Sumter County Sherriff's Office website, 22 arrests were made as a result of the sting. Those arrested were charged with a total of 50 felonies and three misdemeanors.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- #ActuallySheCan campaign works toward empowering women
- USF study links advertising to body image
- USF grad student works to improve education in Nigeria
- USF to bring first students to Cuba in 50 years
- Former USF kicker Marvin Kloss hopes to make most of tryout with Bucs
- Willie Taggart vows USF’s offense is close to hitting its stride
- Table for two: first date dining
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids