USF student caught in sex sting
A weeklong undercover sex sting in Wildwood in Sumter County led to the arrest of a USF student who authorities believe was attempting to engage in sexual conduct with a minor.
Twenty-year-old Ishan Howard was arrested March 20 when county detectives, who posed as 14-year-old children online, directed him to a private residence to have sex.
Anthony Caruthers of the detention support staff for the Sumter County Detention Center said Howard was charged with four felonies: obscene communication through use of computers to solicit a parent, guardian or child for sex; obscene communication to travel and meet; use of two-way communication to facilitate a felony and cruelty toward a child.
Howard was released Tuesday on $80,000 bond.
Justin Martin, a 2010 USF alumnus, said Howard was his roommate on campus in either 2008 or 2009, Martin's "sophomore or junior year."
"(This) is incredibly shocking (to me)," he said of Howard's arrest. "I never knew he would be capable of something like that."
Martin said Howard was a freshman when they were roommates and "seemed normal at the time."
"When (we) were roommates, I didn't see any problems - he had a girlfriend, he had a somewhat stable life," Martin said. "He was very outgoing, he liked to hang out a lot. He was always eager to find out what else was out there."
According to a release on the Sumter County Sherriff's Office website, 22 arrests were made as a result of the sting. Those arrested were charged with a total of 50 felonies and three misdemeanors.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board