USF settles for draw in conference opener

By Marc Seide, CORRESPONDENT
On September 17, 2012

The USF womens soccer team fired 21 shots but couldnt connect with the goal in its Big East conference
opener Sunday.

The Bulls (4-3-1, 0-0-1) came to a 0-0 draw against Pittsburgh (5-5-1, 0-1-1) in double overtime. USF had many opportunities to score, with six shots on goal.

Junior forward Sharla Passariello, who led the team with seven shots, including one at goal, said the teams offense did not perform well.

Our shooting wasnt the best, she said. We should have punished (Pittsburgh) a bit more because
they were tired and I think we have to offer a bit more.

Despite struggling to score points, the Bulls were able to hold the Panthers to one shot, which came on a header by Lauren Yobbi that went wide with 6:21 remaining in double overtime.

Defensively, we did really well, Passariello said. We change a lot, like if you watch (USF defender)
Marsha (Harpers) in and out, we kept that strong.

Coach Denise Schilte-Brown said she was proud of the teams effort.

Any time you can go 110 minutes and only allowing one shot and it was an entire team effort to do that you have to be really proud of that effort, Schilte- Brown said. I think we could have been more polished in the final third.

She said though she was not disappointed with any players, the team was disappointed it could
not score.

The Bulls opened the first half attacking the ball, connecting on eight shots, six of which were shots
at goal, and holding the Panthers to zero shots. USF had chances to put up points when Passariellos header shot was saved by Panthers goalie Nicole DAgostino and another one that went wide.

The team kept the same formula in the second half and overtime, but the Pittsburgh defense was able
to keep the Bulls from scoring. Schilte-Brown said there were many positives from the game that the team could take home.

Sometimes a game like that can unravel, and they didnt let it unravel, Brown said.

The Bulls are back on the road next weekend as they take on Rutgers on Friday at 7 p.m. and Seton Hall on Sunday at 1 p.m. Both games will take place in New Jersey.