USF settles for draw at Villanova
The Bulls defense came through again on Saturday, when the USF mens soccer team went into double overtime and ended in a 1-1 draw against Villanova on Saturday.
Things got off to a slow start for both attacks after kickoff, as neither team could manage to put up a goal in the first half despite six shots apiece.
As both teams came onto the field for the second period of play, the defensive standoff continued, but not for long. In the 66th minute, senior defender Brenton Griffiths put the Bulls ahead of Villanova 1-0.
With USF minutes away from a third straight win, the Wildcats, after attempting 15 shots in the second half alone, knotted things up on their 16th when they finally found goal in the 83rd minute of play.
After a second period that featured an aggressive Wildcats attack, the Bulls defense continued to prevail throughout overtime, only allowing four shots for Villanova after both periods of overtime. The Wildcats ended the night with 26 shots to the Bulls 17.
Though a late goal kept USF from earning a second win in the Big East, the Bulls remain undefeated in the conference going into this weeks road matchup against Cincinnati on Wednesday.
The next home match for the Bulls will be Oct. 6, when they take on Rutgers at 7:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities