USF settles for draw at Villanova
The Bulls defense came through again on Saturday, when the USF mens soccer team went into double overtime and ended in a 1-1 draw against Villanova on Saturday.
Things got off to a slow start for both attacks after kickoff, as neither team could manage to put up a goal in the first half despite six shots apiece.
As both teams came onto the field for the second period of play, the defensive standoff continued, but not for long. In the 66th minute, senior defender Brenton Griffiths put the Bulls ahead of Villanova 1-0.
With USF minutes away from a third straight win, the Wildcats, after attempting 15 shots in the second half alone, knotted things up on their 16th when they finally found goal in the 83rd minute of play.
After a second period that featured an aggressive Wildcats attack, the Bulls defense continued to prevail throughout overtime, only allowing four shots for Villanova after both periods of overtime. The Wildcats ended the night with 26 shots to the Bulls 17.
Though a late goal kept USF from earning a second win in the Big East, the Bulls remain undefeated in the conference going into this weeks road matchup against Cincinnati on Wednesday.
The next home match for the Bulls will be Oct. 6, when they take on Rutgers at 7:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Lightning’s Student Rush program continues to grow
- A look at the 2016-17 A&S budget
- Path to preeminence prompts office integration
- It’s time colleges reform their application process
- Freshman pitcher finds his stride in the bullpen
- Rise and shine: The awakening of USF’s sleeping giant
- Bedbugs found in USF business classrooms
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
- Rolling Stones Exhibit Rocks Music Fans
- Enhance Your Summer Look With These Style Tips
- Hearing Loss Takes Center Stage With Free Test
- The Big Showdown Over Fingerprinting Uber and Lyft Drivers
- Encryption - Why It Matters to You
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere