USF settles for draw at Villanova
The Bulls defense came through again on Saturday, when the USF mens soccer team went into double overtime and ended in a 1-1 draw against Villanova on Saturday.
Things got off to a slow start for both attacks after kickoff, as neither team could manage to put up a goal in the first half despite six shots apiece.
As both teams came onto the field for the second period of play, the defensive standoff continued, but not for long. In the 66th minute, senior defender Brenton Griffiths put the Bulls ahead of Villanova 1-0.
With USF minutes away from a third straight win, the Wildcats, after attempting 15 shots in the second half alone, knotted things up on their 16th when they finally found goal in the 83rd minute of play.
After a second period that featured an aggressive Wildcats attack, the Bulls defense continued to prevail throughout overtime, only allowing four shots for Villanova after both periods of overtime. The Wildcats ended the night with 26 shots to the Bulls 17.
Though a late goal kept USF from earning a second win in the Big East, the Bulls remain undefeated in the conference going into this weeks road matchup against Cincinnati on Wednesday.
The next home match for the Bulls will be Oct. 6, when they take on Rutgers at 7:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care