USFs name is fine as is
The University is playing around with a new name: "University of South Florida Tampa Bay."
This won't be an official name change, just a branding tactic to improve USF's national reputation, an idea proposed by the appropriately named National Reputation Task Force. Apparently, the problem is that when people in other states hear "South Florida," they don't think Tampa.
"You think of the University of South Florida and you think Miami, obviously, south Florida," student body president Matt Diaz said to The Oracle. He's also a member of the task force.
University spokesman Michael Hoad said, "It's just a way of getting past the confusion people have when they read ‘South Florida.'"
However, it is unclear how a name change will improve national recognition. If anything, it will only confuse the matter. If people don't know what USF is, they certainly won't know what USFTB is. They will know it's located in Tampa, but there's little advantage to that kind of "recognition." One can deduce from its name that the University of Montana Western is likely somewhere in western Montana, but that does nothing to improve its national reputation.
Knowing who we are as a university is more important than knowing where we are. If USF continues to build its national reputation through academic and extracurricular achievements, name recognition will follow. Some of the most well-known universities don't have geographic indicators in their names. The average person may not know that Dartmouth is in western New Hampshire, and people don't recognize Harvard because they know where the city of Harvard, Mass., is located.
The name change won't be reflected on bookstore merchandise, and other USF campuses won't be expected to use it. Actual USF students will likely continue to simply call their university "USF," and some may not even notice the geographical addition, though the announcement has already prompted the creation of a Facebook page titled "Do NOT Change University of South Florida's Name."
Hoad said there's much confusion among Florida universities with similar acronyms, such as USF and FSU or FIU and FAU.
The decision to add Tampa Bay to the name comes on the heels of the St. Petersburg Times' decision to rename itself the Tampa Bay Times, but that may not be the best example to follow, especially when it comes to name confusion.
The Times competes with the similarly named Tampa Tribune, which cried foul in 2006, according to the Huffington Post, over the title of the Times' free tabloid, already called the Tampa Bay Times. The Tribune claimed the title was too similar to the Tampa Times, a name owned by the Tribune. A similar problem could result with USFTB and University of Tampa.
If USF is looking for a new name, maybe it can reconsider suggestions from 1957, the year the University was first named, that avoid the geographic ambiguity issue, such as Citrus State University, Sunshine State University or the University of Florida at Temple Terrace.
Many students would laugh at these names now because they know their university as USF. It may be geographically inaccurate, but the school will always be known as USF, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program