USF readies for postseason
After missing out on both conference and NCAA Tournament berths a season ago, the USF womens soccer team will make its return to postseason play Sunday, with the advantage of a home crowd on its side.
Before ending the season with a 4-0 loss at Marquette, the Bulls sealed the second seed in the Big East Tournament, earning a first-round bye and a chance to host a quarter-final game.
USFs opponent will be Louisville, a familiar foe the team faced a month ago at Corbett Soccer Stadium, when the Bulls settled for a 1-1 draw.
I think the team played a really good game, but we set- tled for a tie, coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. Louisville is a great opponent with a lot of offensive skill, but I think we could have scored on a couple of more chances when we played. So the idea to go out and finish a game that we didnt finish so well last time out is nice.
The Bulls will look to get freshman keeper Christiane Endler back on track after arough outing in the loss to Mar- quette. Before allowing four goals to the Golden Eagles, Endler and the USF defense had a four-match shutout streak, and had not allowed more than one goal in 11 consecutive matches.
On the offensive side of the ball, USF will be led by junior forward Sharla Passariello, who is tied for eighth in the Big East with seven goals and is ninth in the conference with 17 points.
Sundays game will start at 1 p.m., with both teams looking to qualify for a trip to Storrs,
Mens Soccer looks to close out strong
The USF mens soccer team will face a must-win situation for Big East Tournament qualification when it plays DePaul on Friday, a season after celebrating a division crown, first-round bye and tournament home game.
Though the Bulls are in fifth place in the Red Division and in position to qualify for the tournament, a loss to a reeling DePaul squad could end the teams post-season hopes.
With just a one-point lead in the divisional standings, a USF loss or draw to the Blue Devils who are 0-6-1 in conference play would open up an opportunity for Villanova or Rutgers to qualify in place of the Bulls with a win.
USF and DePaul will begin their match on Friday at 1 p.m. in Chicago.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT