USF readies for postseason
After missing out on both conference and NCAA Tournament berths a season ago, the USF womens soccer team will make its return to postseason play Sunday, with the advantage of a home crowd on its side.
Before ending the season with a 4-0 loss at Marquette, the Bulls sealed the second seed in the Big East Tournament, earning a first-round bye and a chance to host a quarter-final game.
USFs opponent will be Louisville, a familiar foe the team faced a month ago at Corbett Soccer Stadium, when the Bulls settled for a 1-1 draw.
I think the team played a really good game, but we set- tled for a tie, coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. Louisville is a great opponent with a lot of offensive skill, but I think we could have scored on a couple of more chances when we played. So the idea to go out and finish a game that we didnt finish so well last time out is nice.
The Bulls will look to get freshman keeper Christiane Endler back on track after arough outing in the loss to Mar- quette. Before allowing four goals to the Golden Eagles, Endler and the USF defense had a four-match shutout streak, and had not allowed more than one goal in 11 consecutive matches.
On the offensive side of the ball, USF will be led by junior forward Sharla Passariello, who is tied for eighth in the Big East with seven goals and is ninth in the conference with 17 points.
Sundays game will start at 1 p.m., with both teams looking to qualify for a trip to Storrs,
Mens Soccer looks to close out strong
The USF mens soccer team will face a must-win situation for Big East Tournament qualification when it plays DePaul on Friday, a season after celebrating a division crown, first-round bye and tournament home game.
Though the Bulls are in fifth place in the Red Division and in position to qualify for the tournament, a loss to a reeling DePaul squad could end the teams post-season hopes.
With just a one-point lead in the divisional standings, a USF loss or draw to the Blue Devils who are 0-6-1 in conference play would open up an opportunity for Villanova or Rutgers to qualify in place of the Bulls with a win.
USF and DePaul will begin their match on Friday at 1 p.m. in Chicago.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR