USF readies for postseason
After missing out on both conference and NCAA Tournament berths a season ago, the USF womens soccer team will make its return to postseason play Sunday, with the advantage of a home crowd on its side.
Before ending the season with a 4-0 loss at Marquette, the Bulls sealed the second seed in the Big East Tournament, earning a first-round bye and a chance to host a quarter-final game.
USFs opponent will be Louisville, a familiar foe the team faced a month ago at Corbett Soccer Stadium, when the Bulls settled for a 1-1 draw.
I think the team played a really good game, but we set- tled for a tie, coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. Louisville is a great opponent with a lot of offensive skill, but I think we could have scored on a couple of more chances when we played. So the idea to go out and finish a game that we didnt finish so well last time out is nice.
The Bulls will look to get freshman keeper Christiane Endler back on track after arough outing in the loss to Mar- quette. Before allowing four goals to the Golden Eagles, Endler and the USF defense had a four-match shutout streak, and had not allowed more than one goal in 11 consecutive matches.
On the offensive side of the ball, USF will be led by junior forward Sharla Passariello, who is tied for eighth in the Big East with seven goals and is ninth in the conference with 17 points.
Sundays game will start at 1 p.m., with both teams looking to qualify for a trip to Storrs,
Mens Soccer looks to close out strong
The USF mens soccer team will face a must-win situation for Big East Tournament qualification when it plays DePaul on Friday, a season after celebrating a division crown, first-round bye and tournament home game.
Though the Bulls are in fifth place in the Red Division and in position to qualify for the tournament, a loss to a reeling DePaul squad could end the teams post-season hopes.
With just a one-point lead in the divisional standings, a USF loss or draw to the Blue Devils who are 0-6-1 in conference play would open up an opportunity for Villanova or Rutgers to qualify in place of the Bulls with a win.
USF and DePaul will begin their match on Friday at 1 p.m. in Chicago.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Food, Fuel, and Finance ... The 3Fs of Economics
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates