USF ranks as 'Up-and-Coming' university

On September 11, 2013

USF ranked No. 14 as a top “Up-and-Coming” university according to the 2014 U.S. News and World Report college rankings list released this week.

The university tied with nine other institutions for the No. 14 spot, ranking among schools such as Boston University, Carnegie Mellon University and University of Central Florida (UCF).

“That the ‘Up-and-Comers’ list is based on a recognition of USF’s academic excellence and embrace of innovation by other college and university leaders across the country strongly suggests that our efforts to build the university’s reputation through high-profile, high-impact research and world-class scholarship are working,” USF Provost Ralph Wilcox said in a press release.

U.S. News and World Report has published this report annually, collecting data from more than 1,800 schools and compiling lists that rank schools for multiple factors such as best value colleges, graduation rates and least amount of student debt.

“Coming at a time when we continue to address some new and very difficult financial realities, the university’s re-emergence on the list also helps to underscore the hard work and ‘can-do’ attitude of our faculty and staff, who, despite the challenges, remain committed to our vision of USF as a global research university dedicated to student success. This is an achievement which the entire campus community can celebrate,” Wilcox said.

USF also ranked No. 94 for “Top Public Schools” in the nation, as well as No. 170 in the “National Universities” ranking. USF tied with UCF and West Virginia University in the rankings.

Other Florida institutions to make the top 100 public universities list were the University of Florida and Florida State University. New College of Florida ranked as No. 5 as a top public liberal arts college, and Florida A&M University ranked No. 9 as a top historically black college in the nation.

“Florida has much to celebrate with the release of this year’s U.S. News and World Report college rankings,” Board of Governors Chairman Dean Colson said in a press release. “Despite limited resources, the Board of Governors and our universities have committed to a more strategic approach to increasing quality, and clearly these efforts are paying off. We know those gains will benefit generations of students to come.”

— Staff report