USF plays final game of 2011 season
The USF women's soccer team plays its final match of the season Saturday, paying a visit to Milwaukee to face No. 10 Marquette at 6 p.m.
Because Providence won last weekend to move to 12 points in Big East Conference play, the Bulls can only tie the Friars this weekend. By way of a 1-0 win over USF in Tampa on Oct. 9, Providence owns the tiebreaker, meaning the Bulls have been eliminated from Big East tournament contention.
Despite that reality, USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown said her team aims to end the season on a winning note.
"I feel like we're a good team. We've had a good season, and the girls are competitive," she said. "The bottom line is we want to win the game."
The Bulls (6-7-4, 2-5-3) will square off with the Golden Eagles (16-2-0, 9-1-0) in a game where USF's defense will have to contain Big East Offensive Player of the Week sophomore forward Maegan Kelly. Kelly leads Marquette in goals (14), assists (10) and game-winning goals (six).
The Golden Eagles also boast the reigning Big East Defensive Player of the Week in junior Ally Miller. Led by Miller, the Marquette defense has posted 11 shutouts in 18 matches.
Eleven seniors will play their final game for USF, seeking to snap Marquette's eight-match winning streak.
"I feel like it's their legacy, and they really paved the way for our younger players to come into a great program," Schilte-Brown said. "They would like to go out with a win."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Students warned not to sign up for GetStudyRoom.com
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millennials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
- Bulls aim to bounce back on homestand
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses