USF plays final game of 2011 season
The USF women's soccer team plays its final match of the season Saturday, paying a visit to Milwaukee to face No. 10 Marquette at 6 p.m.
Because Providence won last weekend to move to 12 points in Big East Conference play, the Bulls can only tie the Friars this weekend. By way of a 1-0 win over USF in Tampa on Oct. 9, Providence owns the tiebreaker, meaning the Bulls have been eliminated from Big East tournament contention.
Despite that reality, USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown said her team aims to end the season on a winning note.
"I feel like we're a good team. We've had a good season, and the girls are competitive," she said. "The bottom line is we want to win the game."
The Bulls (6-7-4, 2-5-3) will square off with the Golden Eagles (16-2-0, 9-1-0) in a game where USF's defense will have to contain Big East Offensive Player of the Week sophomore forward Maegan Kelly. Kelly leads Marquette in goals (14), assists (10) and game-winning goals (six).
The Golden Eagles also boast the reigning Big East Defensive Player of the Week in junior Ally Miller. Led by Miller, the Marquette defense has posted 11 shutouts in 18 matches.
Eleven seniors will play their final game for USF, seeking to snap Marquette's eight-match winning streak.
"I feel like it's their legacy, and they really paved the way for our younger players to come into a great program," Schilte-Brown said. "They would like to go out with a win."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone