USF plays final game of 2011 season
The USF women's soccer team plays its final match of the season Saturday, paying a visit to Milwaukee to face No. 10 Marquette at 6 p.m.
Because Providence won last weekend to move to 12 points in Big East Conference play, the Bulls can only tie the Friars this weekend. By way of a 1-0 win over USF in Tampa on Oct. 9, Providence owns the tiebreaker, meaning the Bulls have been eliminated from Big East tournament contention.
Despite that reality, USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown said her team aims to end the season on a winning note.
"I feel like we're a good team. We've had a good season, and the girls are competitive," she said. "The bottom line is we want to win the game."
The Bulls (6-7-4, 2-5-3) will square off with the Golden Eagles (16-2-0, 9-1-0) in a game where USF's defense will have to contain Big East Offensive Player of the Week sophomore forward Maegan Kelly. Kelly leads Marquette in goals (14), assists (10) and game-winning goals (six).
The Golden Eagles also boast the reigning Big East Defensive Player of the Week in junior Ally Miller. Led by Miller, the Marquette defense has posted 11 shutouts in 18 matches.
Eleven seniors will play their final game for USF, seeking to snap Marquette's eight-match winning streak.
"I feel like it's their legacy, and they really paved the way for our younger players to come into a great program," Schilte-Brown said. "They would like to go out with a win."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses