USF plays final game of 2011 season
The USF women's soccer team plays its final match of the season Saturday, paying a visit to Milwaukee to face No. 10 Marquette at 6 p.m.
Because Providence won last weekend to move to 12 points in Big East Conference play, the Bulls can only tie the Friars this weekend. By way of a 1-0 win over USF in Tampa on Oct. 9, Providence owns the tiebreaker, meaning the Bulls have been eliminated from Big East tournament contention.
Despite that reality, USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown said her team aims to end the season on a winning note.
"I feel like we're a good team. We've had a good season, and the girls are competitive," she said. "The bottom line is we want to win the game."
The Bulls (6-7-4, 2-5-3) will square off with the Golden Eagles (16-2-0, 9-1-0) in a game where USF's defense will have to contain Big East Offensive Player of the Week sophomore forward Maegan Kelly. Kelly leads Marquette in goals (14), assists (10) and game-winning goals (six).
The Golden Eagles also boast the reigning Big East Defensive Player of the Week in junior Ally Miller. Led by Miller, the Marquette defense has posted 11 shutouts in 18 matches.
Eleven seniors will play their final game for USF, seeking to snap Marquette's eight-match winning streak.
"I feel like it's their legacy, and they really paved the way for our younger players to come into a great program," Schilte-Brown said. "They would like to go out with a win."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program