USF opens spring practice session
Preparations for the 2012 football season officially went underway Wednesday morning, as the Bulls opened spring practice with a two-and-a-half-hour-long session.
The team was only working in shorts, jerseys and helmets for their first day back, but coach Skip Holtz said the level of first-day comprehension was higher than ever before due to the largest senior class hes had in his three years on campus and the continuation of last years offensive and defensive systems.
Its nice when youre out there with the same offense and defense for three years in a row, he said. As you step out there, everybody can execute everything. Its not like square one where youre trying to get in formations. I feel good about the amount of experience thats out on that field right now.
While the Bulls will be running the same primary defense they used last year, theyll be doing it under a new coordinator Chris Cosh.
Cosh served as defensive coordinator at South Carolina while Holtz was offensive coordinator there, and will learn USFs system rather than teaching the entire defense his own.
I asked him to learn our defense when he came in here, Holtz said. I dont want 50 guys to have to learn a whole new defense. Id rather ask one guy than 50. Chris is on board.
Senior linebacker Sam Barrington said he welcomes the change in staff.
Coach Cosh is doing a great job with us in my opinion, and I feel like he really will get me better as a player, he said. A lot of people tend to look at a change at coach or coordinator negatively, but I take nothing but positives out of it because you get a different coaching perspective every time you bring a new guy in."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board