USF opens spring practice session
Preparations for the 2012 football season officially went underway Wednesday morning, as the Bulls opened spring practice with a two-and-a-half-hour-long session.
The team was only working in shorts, jerseys and helmets for their first day back, but coach Skip Holtz said the level of first-day comprehension was higher than ever before due to the largest senior class hes had in his three years on campus and the continuation of last years offensive and defensive systems.
Its nice when youre out there with the same offense and defense for three years in a row, he said. As you step out there, everybody can execute everything. Its not like square one where youre trying to get in formations. I feel good about the amount of experience thats out on that field right now.
While the Bulls will be running the same primary defense they used last year, theyll be doing it under a new coordinator Chris Cosh.
Cosh served as defensive coordinator at South Carolina while Holtz was offensive coordinator there, and will learn USFs system rather than teaching the entire defense his own.
I asked him to learn our defense when he came in here, Holtz said. I dont want 50 guys to have to learn a whole new defense. Id rather ask one guy than 50. Chris is on board.
Senior linebacker Sam Barrington said he welcomes the change in staff.
Coach Cosh is doing a great job with us in my opinion, and I feel like he really will get me better as a player, he said. A lot of people tend to look at a change at coach or coordinator negatively, but I take nothing but positives out of it because you get a different coaching perspective every time you bring a new guy in."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Trump rally inspires supporters, draws record crowd to Sun Dome
- Letter to the Editor: From the voices of the USF Community: We do welcome...
- Table for two: Valentine’s Day ideas for everyone
- Letter To The Editor: From voices of the USF community: We do not welcome...
- USF staff loses Hope, potentially adds former Buccaneer
- Florida Legislature kills LGBT discrimination ban
- USF partners with Brazilian university
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The ABCs of ACA -- Advice for Business Owners in 2016
- Hope for Sufferers of Myofascial Pain?
- A Delicious and Warm Pear Salad for Winter
- Major Maryland Piano Store to Close Its Doors
- A Better Valentine's Day Gift for Couples?
- Crowdfunding's Latest Effort: Preventing Youth Sports...
- El Regalo Ideal Para Cualquier Etapa De Tu Relación
- Seeing a Chiropractor First Can Save You Money
- Flu Season Has Arrived: Helpful Tips to Prevent the...
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?