USF opens spring practice session
Preparations for the 2012 football season officially went underway Wednesday morning, as the Bulls opened spring practice with a two-and-a-half-hour-long session.
The team was only working in shorts, jerseys and helmets for their first day back, but coach Skip Holtz said the level of first-day comprehension was higher than ever before due to the largest senior class hes had in his three years on campus and the continuation of last years offensive and defensive systems.
Its nice when youre out there with the same offense and defense for three years in a row, he said. As you step out there, everybody can execute everything. Its not like square one where youre trying to get in formations. I feel good about the amount of experience thats out on that field right now.
While the Bulls will be running the same primary defense they used last year, theyll be doing it under a new coordinator Chris Cosh.
Cosh served as defensive coordinator at South Carolina while Holtz was offensive coordinator there, and will learn USFs system rather than teaching the entire defense his own.
I asked him to learn our defense when he came in here, Holtz said. I dont want 50 guys to have to learn a whole new defense. Id rather ask one guy than 50. Chris is on board.
Senior linebacker Sam Barrington said he welcomes the change in staff.
Coach Cosh is doing a great job with us in my opinion, and I feel like he really will get me better as a player, he said. A lot of people tend to look at a change at coach or coordinator negatively, but I take nothing but positives out of it because you get a different coaching perspective every time you bring a new guy in."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses