USF names starting QB, team captains
After a walkthrough at Raymond James Stadium on Saturday, the long-awaited decision of who will be taking snaps under center.
USF coach Willie Taggart announced that redshirt sophomore Matt Floyd will be the starting quarterback for the Bulls.
After Saturday’s USF walkthrough, the team voted on offensive, defensive and special teams captains.
After an off-season, summer-long battle with senior Bobby Eveld, redshirt freshman Tommy Eveld, sophomore Steven Bench and freshman Mike White, Taggart finally found the quarterback who stood out — something that he said he’s been waiting for since the start of training camp.
This won’t be Floyd’s first time behind center.
Last season, after both B.J. Daniels and Bobby Eveld suffered injuries Floyd stepped in as a starter for two games, seeing action in seven games total in 2012.
While he said his play at quarterback was rough, Floyd has said multiple times the experience only helps.
Finishing the 2012 season completing just over 50 percent of his passes for 466 yards, Floyd has yet to find the end zone and has had his troubles with
turnovers, throwing five interceptions during his time at quarterback.
After Floyd was named starting quarterback by Bulls’ coach Willie Taggart, he was also voted as offensive team captain.
On defense, redshirt senior linebacker DeDe Lattimore was voted captain after starting 36 games in three years and collecting 239 tackles and 13 sacks in his career.
Redshirt junior Marvin Kloss won the place-kicking job after handling kickoff duties in his first two seasons and was named the No. 7 kicker in the nation by ESPN.com during his senior year in high school.
— Staff report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video