USF names starting QB, team captains
After a walkthrough at Raymond James Stadium on Saturday, the long-awaited decision of who will be taking snaps under center.
USF coach Willie Taggart announced that redshirt sophomore Matt Floyd will be the starting quarterback for the Bulls.
After Saturday’s USF walkthrough, the team voted on offensive, defensive and special teams captains.
After an off-season, summer-long battle with senior Bobby Eveld, redshirt freshman Tommy Eveld, sophomore Steven Bench and freshman Mike White, Taggart finally found the quarterback who stood out — something that he said he’s been waiting for since the start of training camp.
This won’t be Floyd’s first time behind center.
Last season, after both B.J. Daniels and Bobby Eveld suffered injuries Floyd stepped in as a starter for two games, seeing action in seven games total in 2012.
While he said his play at quarterback was rough, Floyd has said multiple times the experience only helps.
Finishing the 2012 season completing just over 50 percent of his passes for 466 yards, Floyd has yet to find the end zone and has had his troubles with
turnovers, throwing five interceptions during his time at quarterback.
After Floyd was named starting quarterback by Bulls’ coach Willie Taggart, he was also voted as offensive team captain.
On defense, redshirt senior linebacker DeDe Lattimore was voted captain after starting 36 games in three years and collecting 239 tackles and 13 sacks in his career.
Redshirt junior Marvin Kloss won the place-kicking job after handling kickoff duties in his first two seasons and was named the No. 7 kicker in the nation by ESPN.com during his senior year in high school.
— Staff report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program