USF names starting QB, team captains
After a walkthrough at Raymond James Stadium on Saturday, the long-awaited decision of who will be taking snaps under center.
USF coach Willie Taggart announced that redshirt sophomore Matt Floyd will be the starting quarterback for the Bulls.
After Saturday’s USF walkthrough, the team voted on offensive, defensive and special teams captains.
After an off-season, summer-long battle with senior Bobby Eveld, redshirt freshman Tommy Eveld, sophomore Steven Bench and freshman Mike White, Taggart finally found the quarterback who stood out — something that he said he’s been waiting for since the start of training camp.
This won’t be Floyd’s first time behind center.
Last season, after both B.J. Daniels and Bobby Eveld suffered injuries Floyd stepped in as a starter for two games, seeing action in seven games total in 2012.
While he said his play at quarterback was rough, Floyd has said multiple times the experience only helps.
Finishing the 2012 season completing just over 50 percent of his passes for 466 yards, Floyd has yet to find the end zone and has had his troubles with
turnovers, throwing five interceptions during his time at quarterback.
After Floyd was named starting quarterback by Bulls’ coach Willie Taggart, he was also voted as offensive team captain.
On defense, redshirt senior linebacker DeDe Lattimore was voted captain after starting 36 games in three years and collecting 239 tackles and 13 sacks in his career.
Redshirt junior Marvin Kloss won the place-kicking job after handling kickoff duties in his first two seasons and was named the No. 7 kicker in the nation by ESPN.com during his senior year in high school.
— Staff report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Kheireddine and Kent officially sworn into office
- Accusations swirl as decision on student body president nears
- USF partners with company of Lightning owner Jeff Vinik
- Running back Darius Tice gets second chance
- Three predictions for USF football
- Bay Area joins international March for Science
- EDITORIAL: When can we expect a president?
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas