USF names starting QB, team captains
After a walkthrough at Raymond James Stadium on Saturday, the long-awaited decision of who will be taking snaps under center.
USF coach Willie Taggart announced that redshirt sophomore Matt Floyd will be the starting quarterback for the Bulls.
After Saturday’s USF walkthrough, the team voted on offensive, defensive and special teams captains.
After an off-season, summer-long battle with senior Bobby Eveld, redshirt freshman Tommy Eveld, sophomore Steven Bench and freshman Mike White, Taggart finally found the quarterback who stood out — something that he said he’s been waiting for since the start of training camp.
This won’t be Floyd’s first time behind center.
Last season, after both B.J. Daniels and Bobby Eveld suffered injuries Floyd stepped in as a starter for two games, seeing action in seven games total in 2012.
While he said his play at quarterback was rough, Floyd has said multiple times the experience only helps.
Finishing the 2012 season completing just over 50 percent of his passes for 466 yards, Floyd has yet to find the end zone and has had his troubles with
turnovers, throwing five interceptions during his time at quarterback.
After Floyd was named starting quarterback by Bulls’ coach Willie Taggart, he was also voted as offensive team captain.
On defense, redshirt senior linebacker DeDe Lattimore was voted captain after starting 36 games in three years and collecting 239 tackles and 13 sacks in his career.
Redshirt junior Marvin Kloss won the place-kicking job after handling kickoff duties in his first two seasons and was named the No. 7 kicker in the nation by ESPN.com during his senior year in high school.
— Staff report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Lightning’s Student Rush program continues to grow
- A look at the 2016-17 A&S budget
- Path to preeminence prompts office integration
- It’s time colleges reform their application process
- Freshman pitcher finds his stride in the bullpen
- Rise and shine: The awakening of USF’s sleeping giant
- Bedbugs found in USF business classrooms
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
- Rolling Stones Exhibit Rocks Music Fans
- Enhance Your Summer Look With These Style Tips
- Hearing Loss Takes Center Stage With Free Test
- The Big Showdown Over Fingerprinting Uber and Lyft Drivers
- Encryption - Why It Matters to You
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere