USF names starting QB, team captains
After a walkthrough at Raymond James Stadium on Saturday, the long-awaited decision of who will be taking snaps under center.
USF coach Willie Taggart announced that redshirt sophomore Matt Floyd will be the starting quarterback for the Bulls.
After Saturday’s USF walkthrough, the team voted on offensive, defensive and special teams captains.
After an off-season, summer-long battle with senior Bobby Eveld, redshirt freshman Tommy Eveld, sophomore Steven Bench and freshman Mike White, Taggart finally found the quarterback who stood out — something that he said he’s been waiting for since the start of training camp.
This won’t be Floyd’s first time behind center.
Last season, after both B.J. Daniels and Bobby Eveld suffered injuries Floyd stepped in as a starter for two games, seeing action in seven games total in 2012.
While he said his play at quarterback was rough, Floyd has said multiple times the experience only helps.
Finishing the 2012 season completing just over 50 percent of his passes for 466 yards, Floyd has yet to find the end zone and has had his troubles with
turnovers, throwing five interceptions during his time at quarterback.
After Floyd was named starting quarterback by Bulls’ coach Willie Taggart, he was also voted as offensive team captain.
On defense, redshirt senior linebacker DeDe Lattimore was voted captain after starting 36 games in three years and collecting 239 tackles and 13 sacks in his career.
Redshirt junior Marvin Kloss won the place-kicking job after handling kickoff duties in his first two seasons and was named the No. 7 kicker in the nation by ESPN.com during his senior year in high school.
— Staff report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities