USF has opportunity to make early statement
In less than two weeks, the USF mens basketball team will open what may be the most anticipated season in school history in an exhibition against Eckerd College.
Following a breakout season in 2012 when the Bulls shocked fans and experts alike by making the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1992 and winning the first two NCAA Tournament games in school history, fans and the team itself may expect a similar season this year.
Thanks to the returning core of forwards Victor Rudd, Toarlyn Fitzpatrick and sophomore point guard Anthony Collins, the engine for the offense who was named to the preseason all-conference second team, and a favorable opening schedule, the Bulls may manage to surpass their success from a season ago.
After an opening grudge match against UCF on Nov. 10, the Bulls face few big-conference challenges in their out-of-conference schedule and have a chance to open the season with a strong record, unlike last
Though the Bulls finished sixth in the Big East, tough losses against beatable opponents in non-conference play kept the team on the tournament bubble and forced it to sweat it out on Selection Sunday.
USFs out-of-conference struggles a season ago can be attributed to Collins early season injury and the development of both Collins and Rudd, who were both playing their first year at USF. As the season progressed and both players gained experience, the Bulls began to perform with greater
The schedule does not include a single team ranked in the preseason Top 25 with only Georgia and Oklahoma State receiving votes.
The Bulls are not without challenges as the 2012-13 season nears, however, as they look to replace the senior presence of Ron Anderson Jr. and Augustus Gilchrist while also searching for a legitimate post presence on a team that is better known for its speed and athleticism.
If the Bulls can manage to sort out a consistent rotation by the time they take the court at the Sun Dome on Nov. 5 in their exhibition against Eckerd, the team could be in good position for the NCAA tournament by the time it opens Big East play against Syracuse on Jan. 6 at home.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes