USF announces permanent tribute to Lee Roy Selmon
The somber mood at Lee Roy Selmon's memorial service Friday morning at Idlewild Baptist Church in Tampa was broken by a standing ovation while USF President Judy Genshaft addressed the crowd.
The ovation was in response to how USF would honor its former athletic director - by renaming the Athletics building that was built during his tenure as director in his honor. It will now be known as the Lee Roy Selmon Athletic Center at the University of South Florida.
Since Selmon's death Sept. 4, USF had announced tributes of a more temporary and small nature. The football team will continue to wear decals of Selmon's number "63" on its helmets. All USF teams have had patches reading "LRS" attached to their uniforms for the duration of this school year. USF created a flag with both "63" and "LRS" on it that will be carried onto the football field prior to all games. In addition, the field at Raymond James Stadium had Selmon's "63" painted in two locations.
Genshaft used Friday's memorial to announce USF's permanent tribute to Selmon.
"He was truly a pillar of our University and our community," she said. "We can't imagine the campus without him, and that is why (Thursday), the (USF) Board of Trustees (BOT) unanimously approved my request to rename the USF athletic center as the Lee Roy Selmon Athletic Center at the University of South Florida. And while we do not know how we will fill the great void created by his loss, we know Lee Roy Selmon's legacy carries on at the University of South Florida. It lies in the young men and women who achieve more than they ever believed they could - not just on the field of play, but in life."
Athletic Director Doug Woolard, who missed kickoff of USF's game against Ball State while flying back to Tampa from Selmon's memorial in his native Oklahoma, thanked Genshaft and the BOT for their decision.
"We've had over 3,500 student-athletes, as well as coaches, staff, parents, media and visitors enter this building since its inception," he said. "Lee Roy Selmon stands for everything we desire in our student-athletes - integrity, academic excellence, compassion and competitiveness."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board