USF announces permanent tribute to Lee Roy Selmon
The somber mood at Lee Roy Selmon's memorial service Friday morning at Idlewild Baptist Church in Tampa was broken by a standing ovation while USF President Judy Genshaft addressed the crowd.
The ovation was in response to how USF would honor its former athletic director - by renaming the Athletics building that was built during his tenure as director in his honor. It will now be known as the Lee Roy Selmon Athletic Center at the University of South Florida.
Since Selmon's death Sept. 4, USF had announced tributes of a more temporary and small nature. The football team will continue to wear decals of Selmon's number "63" on its helmets. All USF teams have had patches reading "LRS" attached to their uniforms for the duration of this school year. USF created a flag with both "63" and "LRS" on it that will be carried onto the football field prior to all games. In addition, the field at Raymond James Stadium had Selmon's "63" painted in two locations.
Genshaft used Friday's memorial to announce USF's permanent tribute to Selmon.
"He was truly a pillar of our University and our community," she said. "We can't imagine the campus without him, and that is why (Thursday), the (USF) Board of Trustees (BOT) unanimously approved my request to rename the USF athletic center as the Lee Roy Selmon Athletic Center at the University of South Florida. And while we do not know how we will fill the great void created by his loss, we know Lee Roy Selmon's legacy carries on at the University of South Florida. It lies in the young men and women who achieve more than they ever believed they could - not just on the field of play, but in life."
Athletic Director Doug Woolard, who missed kickoff of USF's game against Ball State while flying back to Tampa from Selmon's memorial in his native Oklahoma, thanked Genshaft and the BOT for their decision.
"We've had over 3,500 student-athletes, as well as coaches, staff, parents, media and visitors enter this building since its inception," he said. "Lee Roy Selmon stands for everything we desire in our student-athletes - integrity, academic excellence, compassion and competitiveness."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses