USF and UWF create new physical therapy program
A new joint doctoral program in physical therapy offered by USF Health and the University of West Florida will aim to provide students with increased opportunities for education and employment.
Dr. William Quillen, director of the USF School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences and associate dean of the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine, said this change will provide UWF students the opportunity to partake in USFs physical therapy program.
Florida faces a critical physical therapist shortage, especially in the rural parts of the state, Quillen said. There are about 160 job vacancies in the Panhandle.
Dr. George Stewart, chair of biology and director of the School of Allied Health and Life Sciences at UWF, said the first year of classes would take place at the USF Tampa campus, because of USFs abundant health and laboratory resources and the last two years of the program, along with clinicals at various outreach and hospitals, will be held in Pensacola because of the large health care presence in the Panhandle.
This new program will be an efficient means to further health care and health care education in the panhandle region without overspending, Stewart said.
The Florida Board of Governors approved the new pilot program six months ago. The program will also allow expansion of class enrollment, an increase from 36 students per class to roughly 48.
Taylor Muehlstein, a freshman majoring in health sciences, said she plans to study physical therapy in the future, and shared positive feedback about the new program.
Ive lived in Florida all my life so I think its great that two Florida universities are linking up like this, Muehlstein said. Hopefully this program will provide more resources for the state.
This program has been in the works since 2010 between USF and UWF.
Its been a long journey, but certainly worth the trip, Stewart said.
Physical therapy students at UWF and USF will be able to apply for the program in July and begin classes in the Summer 2014.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- ‘Jurassic World’ brings dino excitement back to life
- Haitian students to lead discussion on Caribbean migration crisis
- Schools share strategies for student success
- SCOTUS ruling not a personal attack against conservatives
- Woulard announces transfer to USF
- Antigua fills void with Penn State transfer
- Taggart adds offensive line depth
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'